How do you see working with computers changing in the next 10 years?

Asked Ottumwa, Iowa

Thomas’s Answer

Updated Miami, Florida

I see things with technology going to the cloud. The days of having a physical infrastructure in an office or in a site will eventually become obsolete. Utilizing SaaS (software as a service) PaaS (Platform as a Service) IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service) is something that is becoming more and more prevalent.

This professional recommends the following next steps:

Kevin’s Answer

Updated St. Louis, Missouri

I see input devices changing dramatically, from manual inputs like keyboard and mouse to biometric authentication and input, such as Apple iPhone fingerprint and face recognition and Google Home assistant/Amazon Echo voiceprint authentication.  In my career this evolution has gone from programming on punched cards to online terminals to fingerprint and face ID, and I've seen the computers with which we interact go from filling a room to barely filling your hand.

• Study Biometric Authentication.
  • Think about how it could be easier for people to interact with their devices, from hand gestures to natural language to 3D/holographic interfaces. Dream, plan, do, and repeat.
I couldn't agree more with Kevin. I too have seen computers & programming languages evolve over the years here at AT&T. It's exciting to think about what the future has in store for us. Technology changes so rapidly that you will have to be able to adapt to an ever changing environment no matter what field you plan to pursue. One thing we have learned here at AT&T is that "embrace the growth mindset". Those with a growth mindset, enjoy challenges, strive to learn and consistently see the need to develop new skills.

Leon’s Answer

Updated Fort Worth, Texas

This is a question that does not have a single answer. There will be many improvements to existing technologies and brand new technologies will be created. In the paragraphs below I will describe the technologies that have had major changes doing my career and will continue to change.

I have been working with computers for 57 years and the changes have been enormous. When I started the group of people was very small and dedicated to very specific tasks in a small number of computer languages. Today the WORLD works on different types of computers using many different computer languages, applications and human languages. Computers are being made smaller, faster, and cheaper for more people of the world.

Very important changes in the world of computers have allowed people rich and poor with varying degrees of computer knowledge to contribute to these changes. I have been working with Linux and open source programs for many years. Linux Operating Systems DVD can be bought for $5.95 and installed on as many computers as you and your friends have. Also, all of the software programs, browsers, applications, games, etc. are free not just free for 30days. Additional open source programs are free and available on the Internet that is used by half the people in the world.

Years ago people only developed code for money and couldn't believe there would be developers that would contribute their time to projects for free. Well the experts were proved wrong. Currently 31 million developers work projects on a code hosting site called GitHub. GitHub is the largest but there are others—SourceForge, Bitbucket, GitLab.

Freelance jobs are available on these 72 websites, #development">https://www.ryrob.com/freelance-jobs/#development,

Most of these jobs are remote and you can bid on a project. People from all over the world work on various projects from their computer, etc. Some people work on these projects as a full time job others just need a little extra money.

Of course with the WORLD now involved in some form of computer activity there is the bad news. There are people out there looking to make money or fame by doing some form of illegal activity. So now there are new positions called Cyber Security to stop the illegal activity. The bad guys have a lot of time to think of new illegal activities so the Cyber Security teams have more than enough work to do. This is just one of the many new and improved technology positions that have been created.

Some of the biggest changes in the last 50 years have been the increase of computer memory, speed and data storage. One of the first computer languages I used was BASIC. A very English language that used very specific words to execute. Since the memory of the computer was very limited we were able to removed the spaces between words that were only needed for human readability. The data was stored on 1.44 MB floppy disks (711 of these floppy disks equals 1 Gigabyte).

Today the computer memory continues to grow larger and the data storage is larger beyond believe. Now they have what are called “Data Lakes” that store huge amounts of structured and unstructured data. Companies now don't throw ANY data away because they never know what questions will be asked in the future and which data will answer the questions.

Amy’s Answer

Updated California, California

What great timing for your question! I was at a conference in Boston called LearnLaunch . The speaker, Ryan Craig, talked about how technology skills will change over time. Artificial intelligence, augmented reality, and software development are all expected to still be in demand 10 years from now. I will throw my own personal opinion into the mix. I believe software security will always be in high demand. I doubt hacking will go out of style. I hope this helps!