How does one program code for artificial intelligence, and how long does that take?

Asked Wiesbaden, Hesse, Germany

I have always wondered how long it takes for a coder to program A.I's like Siri.
#technology #tech #programming #ai #coding

Srinivasa’s Answer

Artificial Intelligence (AI) comprises of Data, Algorithms and programming languages to apply Algorithms on top the data. Machine learning is one aspect of the AI. With Machine learning, you can take sample data (for example, 100s of cat pictures) and use different Neural Networks algorithms to teach the machine what a cat looks like. After the training data, you can then take a cat picture and do inference to see how the probablity of the picture you are testing is a cat or not.

Learning AI/ML is not that complex. In fact there are number of ways one can pick these up. If you interested i would suggest taking a small course in Udacity and then use a free tool such as the H2O.ai to apply what you learn

José’s Answer

Updated Caracas, Capital District, Venezuela

The time it will take you to develop an A.I. application will obviously depend on the complexity and size of what you want to do. Siri's application uses natural language processing to answer questions, make recommendations and perform actions by delegating requests to a set of web services that has been increasing over time. Applications with few functionalities can take only a couple of days or just hours to develop, everything is relative. The main languages that are used most frequently to make artificial intelligence projects are: Python, R, Lisp, Prolog y Java. Python is one of the most used due to its simplicity. Lisp and Prolog are the oldest and most suitable languages for A.I. development. Java can also be considered as a good option for the development of Artificial Intelligence. A.I. has a lot to do with search algorithms, artificial neural networks and genetic programming.

José recommends the following next steps:

• If you are passionate about the subject of the A.I., research on the internet some study pensums related to a career in Informatics or computer science, for some universities.
  • Observe which one devotes more subjects to the area of Artificial Intelligence. They can be compulsory or free choice subjects.
  • Success ..... I hope it helps you!

Shrinivas’s Answer

Updated San Jose, California

There are multiple ways to code. One of most commonly used language is Python. You could do some quick learning. Once you have understanding of basic structure of python, you can install various packages available. E.g. There is package called NLTK ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2vAabgKiuM). This package in python would allow computer to understand language and system can then make sense of what is being typed, its context. E.g. applications like Siri or when you use iPhone or Android to type, you see some recommendations. They could be attributed to packages like NLTK. You could start with Python and try doing simpler ML programs.

Shrinivas recommends the following next steps:

• You could get a lot of material on You Tube - www.youtube.com, Coursera(https://www.coursera.org/learn/machine-learning) , Udemy (https://www.udemy.com/) to get you started.