I'm a Graphic Design major, and wondering what jobs I can get with this degree?

What other jobs can I get if I major in Graphic Design? What careers are there for it? #college #art #major #design #graphic

6

Spartaco’s Answer

Ok, the main thing the other answers are NOT getting to, a very, very, very saturated market of graphic designers. Yes, sure you can do a variety of things in graphic design, ui, ux, but overall you will be stuck with others, looking for work in an ultra competitive field. These days, anyone, I mean anyone, really does graphic design and it comes down to the money, budget and allocation of work for that set project so you've to compete with VERY low bids. In my opinion, unless you have an outstanding natural ability for it and your works are insanely good, don't bother. I went to school for animation, traditional, have a ton of experience over the years in many, many different mediums of art. I still do graphic design all the time, on projects that I get paid, my own and other endeavors. As an artist, designer, whatever, WHAT makes you stand out? That's what you should focus on as an artist not just what is the norm or trends. My niece went to school for graphic design, graduated and now having a very hard time so I yeah, you could do what is listed above but they're not telling you the truth. It's hard, super hard and you'll have NO experience. Think first. Plan, plan again. Research and follow artists that are doing it. So many options but again, for me, way too many people calling themselves "graphic designers". In the age of the internet, so easy for people to lie, place whatever title they wish with little or no experience and creating a false portfolio. So, up to you. Look at a site like https://www.fiverr.com/ that should scare you, people doing work for $5 and up? Ridiculous. Time is money, my time is my more valuable commodity in my life, so plan well. Cheers and good luck. Get straight answers, not feel good moments, you need to focus on what is you.

1

Alwyn’s Answer

There are many jobs that a Graphic Designer can do, migrate or morph into including Art Director, Creative Director, designer. In today’s world you can take your design skills and knowledge to become a User Experience, Unser Interface, Visual designer and Information Architect. Designers today work in education, publishing, media, corporate and technology sectors. In my own personal experience I was a traditionally trained graphic designer. Today my focus and passion lie in representing and advocating for user needs in software products that alleviate their pain points and providing software solutions that benefit them. Remember design is in everything that we do, everything we see, everything we touch and use. Good luck and persevere.

1

Sarah’s Answer

Many people tend to look at either design studios or advertising agencies for graphic design jobs. There are lots of other places you can look as well. Printers have design departments, publications, and many companies have in-house design or marketing groups that have design positions. Having worked both in agencies and in-house there are pros and cons of both. One thing I have found is that many people think working for a corporate in-house group is boring and you don't get to be creative. In my experience, that is completely false. Creative and fulfilling design careers can be had in many different kinds of environments.

0

Eric’s Answer

Graphic Design is a blanket term encompassing a wide range of skillsets. As noted by Spartaco, anyone can call themselves a graphic designer these days, much like anyone with a smartphone calls themselves a photographer. It is truly about what makes you stand out as a designer and what area under that graphic design degree to you want to concentrate in.

If you are really into user experience then heading in the direction of web design as a graphic designer is where you want to go, developing interfaces, graphics, apps for a digital world. However if you're more into illustration then follow an illustration concentration. And the list goes on.

I am a graphic designer however I cross over so many different aspects of design, that's the direction I went. I do marketing/advertising design, branding, wayfinding, and in recent years user experience and interface. With that I have been a fine artist as well, doing illustration and painting and integrating that into my design work. Then if I narrow down some of the focus such as in Advertising, I've been doing product photography and staging as part of my overall job in the field of graphic design.

As for the competitive nature of the industry, yes, anyone with a Cert from Adobe is going to scream I'm a graphic designer, when more likely they are merely a production artist with no real design education. And with the way applicants are milled through today on job sites and employment screening services, you should try your best to figure out how you stand out above all the 'NORM'. If that means find a concentration then hone in on something within graphic design, if that means being as experienced as possible, then take every opportunity you can and learn whether it's through academia or employment.

A few more things designers do: Wayfinding, Interpretive Signage, Print Graphics, Marketing, Branding, Package Design, Product Design, Concept Design, Brand Experience Design, Web Design, Typography, Motion Graphics, Logo Designer, Content Strategist, Book Designer, Cover Artist, Production Artist.

0