What skills should I learn/ have to be a video game developer.

Asked Central City, Iowa

Marjorie’s Answer

Updated Houston, Texas

Hi Austin,

From what I was reading, you need to be creative and enjoy video games. You also need to be competent in computer science and with programs such as C++ and C#. As a biologist, I only had to take one C++ class and I personally didn’t enjoy it much. It’s basically learning how to WRITE in computer language which will be mostly 1s and 0s and your symbols and signs such as: $&@/:; in combination with words. I attached a site that was good to read and gives you more specifics about what it takes to be a software developer. Good luck and have fun learning!!

https://targetjobs.co.uk/careers-advice/job-descriptions/455349-video-game-developer-job-description#skills

Corey’s Answer

Updated Houston, Texas

Austin,

You should learn either Unity engine or Unreal Engine. Unity Engine uses JavaScript and C#. Unreal Engine uses C++ or node based programming. There are many jobs within the game field. 3D modeling, lighting, rendering, UV unwrapping, texturing, programming, writing, animating, fx, story-boarding, and many others. Have fun.

Corey recommends the following next steps:

• Look up jobs that you think you may want and find what skills they want. Then learn the programs they use.
  • If you choose to go to college for it, pick a college that teaches the computer software you need to know to get the job you want.
  • artstation.com is artists in the field or similar field.