What programs/ software should I be using?

Héctor’s Answer

Hi Austin,

That's a very good question. In fact, it is something we software engineers ask to ourselves every time. You know, software evolves super quick. So, it's usual to get ask yourself that question.

Which is the best software I could use to fulfill my purpose. And there are a lot of options out there! So, I would say do not worry at all about getting the best response for that. Try to think of what you want to do and then look up for options that people recommend .

There are tons of places in the Internet where you can get recommendations. I am posting some of them where you can check out trends and tutorials made by professionals for free:

Adam’s Answer

Stack Overflow does a yearly survey, asking computer professionals that very question (and many more interesting ones). You can find this year's survey results at: https://insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2019

Good Luck!

Dinesh’s Answer

Hi, As above answer mentioned its depends on the organization requirements or area of interest. There are multiple programs are demands in market now such as Python, R, JSON, etc.. One of the very demanding area is DevOps, you can try and focus on DevOps which will have multiple options.

Dinesh recommends the following next steps:

• https://insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2019

Sharr’s Answer

Hi Austin!

Like the others have answered, it really depends on what you want to be doing within software development. For example, front end like user interface design, or backend like database design, or even systems engineering to name just a few. Each of these subfields have their own ecosystems and common software.

I would encourage you to focus on learning strong software development fundamentals instead of specific software or language technologies. This way you will be able to apply your skills to different areas and be able to more easily adopt new technologies in the future.

To learn more about what technologies are popular today look at this report: https://insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2019#most-popular-technologies

Sharr recommends the following next steps:

• Think about why you are interested in software development and if there is something specific you like doing or find the most interesting

Sally’s Answer

It depends on what your project or organization is using/intending on migrating to.

Programs and software can change so I would focus on logic, languages as well as find out what you want to do specifically in tech.

Sally recommends the following next steps:

• Look at different roles in information technology and their responsibilities.

Luis’s Answer

Hi, it depends on what you want to achieve or what company you want to work for.

Luis recommends the following next steps:

• As Sally mentioned 'Look at different roles in information technology and their responsibilities'
  • Focus on programming logic and logic in general.
  • Don't rush it, don't try to obtain the power fast.