what is the most important part of being a surgeon?

6

Willingness to learn.

There are many years of studying in the library on the journey to becoming a physician. After college, medical school and residency physicians still need to keep up to date on latest developments. Being a physician is a lifelong commitment.
You also have to be good at dealing with difficult people. Physicians see people at the lowest points in their life and must understand that patients can take out their frustrations on the doctor and the doctor should not take it personally.

0

Sydney’s Answer

The answer to this question is probably different for every surgeon. Qualities such as leadership, commitment, stability and confidence are certainly important to a surgeon. I would also say that time and stress management are very important in such an intense career.

0

I don't know the single most important quality, but some essential characteristics of surgeons are honesty (you must be honest with yourself and with your patient when the treatment options are dismal), endurance (the hours are very long), and commitment (13+ years of training to become a surgeon).

0

Estelle’s Answer

I perform gynecologic surgery. I would say that an important quality is the ability to identify mistakes or complications and fix them quickly and efficiently.

0