Should I take the Singapore Government Grant for undergraduate studies?

2

I am a high school student from Bangladesh. I have recently been accepted to Yale-NUS College for the class of 2023. I have an option to take the Government grant that will allow me to pay subsidised fees but I will have to take up a bond to work for 3 years in a Singapore-registered company after my studies. I am interested in pursuing a career in Artificial Intelligence research and I intend to pursue a phd. I have 3 options now: 1) I can take the grant but it will mean that I will have to work for 3 years before pursuing my next studies; 2) I can take student loans instead of the grant and pay them back after getting a job; or 3) I can study in a public university in Bangladesh on a very low cost and then pursue my higher studies abroad.
If you recommend to take the grant, can you suggest some companies that I can work with to fulfill my bond with a Bachelor of Science degree and also gain experience that will help me in pursing a career in AI research.
Thank you in advance.
#college #singapore #ai #artificialintelligence #technology #undergraduate #computer #bachelors #science

2

Shu’s Answer

1

Hi Golam, I think the answer depends on the major of the undergraduate degree they have offered you, and what type of job it is for that 3-year contract. If it is related to AI/Computer Science then I would go for it! I have studied and worked in a different country and I'd say it's a great experience. You can learn a lot as well as gain lots of different perspectives. You will grow in many different aspects in life and meet lots of new friends. If that 3-year job is of a field you like to work in, why not? However, if you know the major and the job is something you know you will absolutely not like and not want to waste time on, then I'd stay away.

Thanks for the answer. Golam R.
1

Mukunda’s Answer

1

Education in most prestigious Institutions around the world are very expensive. It would be best to get Scholarships/Waivers etc from the Government (s) to reduce the financial burden on the student. there are also low rate student loans available.

Thank you for your answer. Golam R.
1