What are the pros and cons of electrical engineering?

Jackson’s Answer

Professor You: I disagree with your cons. You made it sounded like being good at math and life-long learning are bad things. I agree with you that to be a successful electrical engineer, one needs to understand Calculus, Differential Equation, and Statistics. Technology changes rapidly that life-long learning is a requirement in order to stay relevant.

Brayden: As an electrical engineer, I learned critical thinking and problem solving. All these critical transferable life skills that set me up as a successful professional in various disciplines. I agree with you that getting a BS / MS degree in electrical engineering is difficult. Anything in life worth pursuing is difficult.

Jackson recommends the following next steps:

• Enroll in advanced math courses (pre-calculus, calculus, statistics)
  • Enroll in physics including Labs
  • Visit local engineering companies and talk to electrical engineers

Shingchern’s Answer

Pros: You earn more and have fun to deal with new stuff everyday (if you want).

Cons: You have to have good math and (almost) life-time learning to keep up to date.

Mike’s Answer

Electrical Engineering is a great discipline that trains you to understand the basics on how anything electrical works. The base content (Mathematics, Physics, etc) in Electrical Engineering hasn't changed much over the years. What has changed is the movement of electronics and hardware vs software.

Pros: You will have a solid understanding of upper level mathematics, physics, and technology. The Engineering approach to solving problems is a great skill that will help you in business, technology, and a variety of other disciplines.

Cons: There has been a shift on Electrical/Computer Engineering and Computer Science. With the growth of Computer Engineering was generally focused on hardware with Computer Science in software. Now a lot of hardware functions are shifting to software. A lot of time Electrical/Computer Engineering were intertwined and where to focus may be confusing.