Can you describe one of your typical work days?

Robin’s Answer

Updated Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

I have an office job as a manager for a large corporation.

Typically I get to work between 8AM-9AM, but maybe 3 times a year I may have to come in as early as 5AM. This is because my company has global operations and shifts cover all hours. My day ends anywhere from 4:30PM - 6PM, depending on the workload. Once a month I may need to work as late as 8PM to hit a deadline.

If I don't have a meeting right away when I get in, I will spend the first 30 minutes reading and responding to emails, and reminding myself what I need to get done that day. Depending on the day, 2 to 8 hours of the day are spent in meetings. I meet with people at all levels within the company, either talking about planned changes, developing change, deploying change, or reviewing success of the change. The meetings might be in person, on the phone, or through video chat. Sometimes it's a combination of all three. My time not in these meetings is spend either preparing for such a meeting or networking. I enjoy the variety of working interdependently at times and collaborating at other times. Networking can be anything from saying good morning to someone to spending an hour observing their work to understand what they do or collecting information to provide them with to help them out. Before I leave for the day, I make sure I've read all emails in my inbox and responded to anything that requires an immediate response.

I am a Human Resources Business Partner and my days are work usually don't look the same. I help and consult with my clients on one of the most important aspects of the company, the employees! I consult with them on things like how do we up-skill our talent for the future, when we look at our employees are they paid competitively to the market we are in, how do we increase engagement on teams, and/or across the organization, have we matched the right jobs to the employees based on their skills, experience and their goals, and still encourage a collaborative and fun environment with employees working remotely or in dispersed locations. Ultimately, I partner with leaders to facilitate a positive career journey.