How do deal with living in a dorm

8

Theres a 25% chance ill have to study out of town, how do i get a dorm #college #studying-tips #college-bound #help

8

Kaela’s Answer

0

Hello Raquel,

Remember it is a temporary situation and time frame of normally only 4 semesters. Even if you do not "click" with your roommate it is only for a short time. See it as a location to sleep and possibly study but focus on finding relationships, friends and places to hang out outside of the 14x10 ft room.

Thanks!

Kaela

0

0
When I went away to college it was the first time I was ever really living on my own. I was nervous going away, but looking back on it, it was one of the best decisions I made. I met great people and became active on campus. I really enjoyed everything the school offered and I made friends for life. I would say, embrace the opportunity and make the most of your time at school. Good luck to you.
0

Alexis’s Answer

0
I'm not going to lie to you, I HATED living in a dorm my freshman year. But keep in mind, I'm a only child, had my own bedroom and bathroom so having to share my personal space with a stranger and share a bathroom with 100 plus girls was very overwhelming for me. The one thing I wish I could do differently is possibly have lived with someone I knew. My best friend from high school was suppose to be my roommate, but last minute she decided she was going to stay at home and not go to school. So because it was so late in the game I got stuck living with a random girl, that I was not friends with, and had nothing in common with. On the bright side, she did end up leaving in October so for the rest of the school year I had the dorm to myself and then sophomore year I did get a apartment.

Everyone does need to experience dorm life though. For me, it helped me break out of my shell. I think all in-coming freshman should live in a dorm room... But with that being said in today's new 'normal' I'm not sure if you will get to experience this or not.
0

Keri’s Answer

0

The best thing is to make your small space belong to you, so you are the most comfortable there. Also, make connections with the kids around you. You are most likely all going through this for the first time, so use that as a bonding experience.

0

Mireya’s Answer

0
Living in the dorms was one of the best decisions I made when going to college. Being on campus exposes you to much more opportunities and events to network that you would not get living at home. I would recommend trying dorms freshman year to help you get to know your peers and organizations available on campus. Living in the dorms also helped me focus on school, I could walk back after class and immediately begin my assignments or take a nap, something I missed once I moved out. A few challenges I faced was a messy roommate and not being able to cook for myself, but overall I am happy I experienced the dorms freshman year.
0

Daniel’s Answer

0
Hi Raquel,

As a freshman I remember how stressful it can feel selecting the college you want to attend and rooming in an unknown space. The best advice I can give is to try to make it feel like home for the semesters. I recommend looking on Facebook for college group chats where you can talk to other upcoming students and possibly find a roommate. I'd also look at opportunities your college may offer because some colleges offer programs that match you with people with common interests or majors. Just remember home will always be there when you get back, but this will be your college experience that you won't regret having.

Good Luck,
Dan
0

KB’s Answer

0
Others have answered how to deal with living in a dorm, so I'm going to hit your second question. Getting a dorm is simple. Most colleges will have dorm applications on their websites. If not, you can call their office and request to speak with housing. Have an idea of what you want and what your budget is, and pay attention to your receipt. One time, a mistake caused me to be up-charged for a single person room when I was sharing with a roommate - glad I caught that!
0

Mackenzi’s Answer

0
Hey Raquel,

Dorms are so fun to live in. Everyone else has covered how to deal with living in a dorm, but if you are struggling to find a roommate, I would suggest joining the Facebook group for your class. I found my roommate by joining the Facebook group for incoming students in my class and reading through the posts from people looking for roommates. If there aren't any recent ones, I would suggest writing a blurb about yourself and posting it on the page.
0

Prentice’s Answer

0
- Make friends. It seems to be an easy and fun thing to do
- Eat well. Continuing to eat nutritious food is important for your health and well-being, as well as helping you sustain the energy needed to keep concentrating in classes
- Learn to live with noise. Realize now that your neighbors are probably not going to be as quiet as you’d like them to be 90 percent of the time.
0