Do I need a concentration or minor in college to be competitive for jobs?

Asked Providence, Rhode Island

Hi! My name is Anina and I'm a high school senior interning at CareerVillage. Now that many of my classmates are planning their futures at their chosen colleges, rumors are abounding about the usefulness of concentrations, minors, and even double majors. Do they really help boost your resume, and is going to that extra effort worth it? For example, if you majored in Computer Science and minored in Economics, would that help you? #college #college-major #college-majors #choosing-a-major

Nancy’s Answer

Anina,

The job market is so hot for Computer Science graduates that you do not need a minor or double major. According to my daughter finishing a CS degree, it is more important to have sound skills in coding. She recommends Gayle Laakmann McDowell’s book “Cracking the Coding Interview.” That said, she minored in math because she likes it! So follow your own passions.