Do I need a concentration or minor in college to be competitive for jobs?

Asked Providence, Rhode Island

Hi! My name is Anina and I'm a high school senior interning at CareerVillage. Now that many of my classmates are planning their futures at their chosen colleges, rumors are abounding about the usefulness of concentrations, minors, and even double majors. Do they really help boost your resume, and is going to that extra effort worth it? For example, if you majored in Computer Science and minored in Economics, would that help you? #college #college-major #college-majors #choosing-a-major

Kayla’s Answer

No, you don't need it but yes, it is helpful! You have to complete so many credits in college anyway (just like classes in high school) and depending on your major you'll have extra time in your schedule for electives. You could take a variety of different things you're interested in or you can put that focus into another major or a minor. This shows a deeper knowledge in one area rather than a superficial knowledge in many areas. Some majors/minors go well together and others seem haphazardly paired but either way I think it is beneficial to focus your studies and get something else out of it. You never know, in the future you may find your second major to be the focus of your career. Or if you end up working in your primary field, you can use that secondary education to diversify your brand and make you stand out to certain companies over your competitors.

Nancy’s Answer

Anina,

The job market is so hot for Computer Science graduates that you do not need a minor or double major. According to my daughter finishing a CS degree, it is more important to have sound skills in coding. She recommends Gayle Laakmann McDowell’s book “Cracking the Coding Interview.” That said, she minored in math because she likes it! So follow your own passions.

Aaron’s Answer

Hi Anina,

If you think that the concentration or minor is applicable to the type of career you're pursuing then I would say go for it. For example, if you wanted to work in biotech and you were studying chemical engineering, it might be helpful to have a concentration in biochemical engineering in order to help land a job in that field. If the minor interests you and is unrelated, you can still pursue the minor degree and it might be able to provide new perspectives and values to the field you're majoring in! In the end, however, a minor or concentration isn't required to help get a job. Best of luck!

Kimberly’s Answer

Updated Plano, Texas

I think a concentration is a great way to investigate your interests, but not required to get a job.