What do you think are the secrets behind getting to where you’ve go to?

U of T life sciences biology and psychology major. #science #biology #marine-biology #computer-science #environmental-science

9

James’s Answer

Hard work. Willing to take chances. Willing to perform jobs others feel.are beneath then. Honesty. Promptness.
Good luck

1

Zoe’s Answer

I've found that visualizing where I would like to be in both a one-year, a five-year, and a ten-year plan has given me a better mindset to start looking at what I want to do. Setting out short term and long term goals is a huge step in the right direction, and for those short term goals, you can start setting up plans to meet them.

For example, I wasn't sure if I wanted to go to grad school or look for work, but my goal was to get to Germany in the near future. I realized that gaining a degree there would be the best first step for not only getting me into the country, but also creating a stepping stone for my goal of getting a job overseas.

In short, do some self-reflection and start writing out where you want to be, and how you could feasibly get there!

0

Francis’s Answer

Completely disregarding most career advice older people give me. Your teachers mean the best, but other than common sense, their advice is dated 20 or 40 years old. Their advice is often about how to become somebody like them, and you’re not them.

My advice is use common sense and do whatever you want. Focus on the topics you’re interested about, and if it upsets friends and family, so what?

This way you only have yourself to credit or blame later in life.

0

I work as a colon and rectal surgeon at a cancer center. There are not many secrets behind getting to a career in surgery. You will have to complete college with a bachelor’s degree as well as all of the Pre-med requirements (1 year biology, 1 year inorganic chemistry, 1 year organic chemistry + labs, physics, calculus, and biochemistry). GPA should probably be 3.5 or better (preferably >3.8). You will also have to score well on the MCAT. Once accepted to medical school, as long as you pass your classes and perform reasonably well during your four years of medical training, you can apply for a general surgery 5 year residency. Following that, you will likely apply for a 1-3 year fellowship. This career path requires 14+ years of school after high school but is very fulfilling and challenging work.

0

Jeff’s Answer

Pursue your passions. Always do your best and always be prepared to fail. Learn and grow from your failures, Success is not a destination but a journey, don't give up on your passions.

0

Liselot’s Answer

Knowing yourself and what you like to do. Where do you want to go? What is important for you? Make mistakes, and learn fast. Challenge yourself and always belief in yourself

0

Tosha’s Answer

NEVER be afraid to fail. Without failure you wont grow.

Always be uncomfortable in what you do since comfort = complacency.

Set goals both short term as well as long term (30/60/90 day and/or1/3/5 year).

Find your passion and follow it no matter how hard it may seem at times.

Great advice! Jeff Arnold

0

Ateeb’s Answer

Persistence and passion

0

Sheila’s Answer

Determination and Perseverance

0