Is it possible to be a good mechatronics engineer?

I am thinking if it is possible to be well versed in Computer Science, Electrical and electronics engineering and mechanical engineering and are there job roles involving all of these? #engineering #engineer #computer #electrical-engineering #mechanical #mechanics

5

Abhishek’s Answer

The role I think you would be looking for is something along the lines of robotics (code, circuits, electrical and mechanical) from things that are done by Boston Dynamics to robotics for industrial usage.

Abhishek recommends the following next steps:

Find someone who works with mechatronics
Learn about the different flavors of the role
Learn about different educational and experential path for the same (it is not set in stone, but acts a s template)

Abhishek P. is correct. If you can provide some additional information as to your current education and interests we may be able to develop a more detailed roadmap for you. Kevin Britton

Thanks for the tips! Rainer R.

3

Anna’s Answer

How good you become at something, anything, depends on your own motivation and passion for the topic. So I think you can be a great mechatronics engineer! Getting a degree in mechatronics will surely help you along the way - I know there are colleges that offer mechatronics as a major, cause I work at one that does. But if for whatever reason pursuing a mechatronics degree is not an option, consider combining courses from the different fields that together make mechatronics. If you share more details of your situation and options, I might be able to offer more specific advice.

I am currently pursuing B.Tech Mechanical Engineering specialized in Mechatronics and Automation, however, I don't feel that the knowledge received from college is adequate because the core subjects of mechatronics were started from third year onward. I am currently in sixth semester , and I am thinking of taking additional courses from MOOCs in Computer Science and Electronics and Communications. Am I on the correct path? Rainer R.

Good. Do not take those gut feelings for granted. It might be helpful for you to plot out what you want, your skills, and how you might get there. As Anna said it is all about your motivation, there will always be people that recognize your passion and want to help you. See: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-warren-buffets-525-rule-changed-my-productivity-sami-suo-heikki/ Kevin Britton

Rainer, absolutely go for MOOCs in CS and Electronics, Robotics, etc if you feel this is where your degree is short. And do discuss these in job interviews/list them in your resume, etc. If you haven't considered an internship yet, I'd advise you to do so. It can be related to CS or Electronics, etc. Also, do you have a robotics or another mechatronics or electronics related student club where you are getting your BT? If you don't, start one! If you do, join it! Anna Traykova

0

Robert’s Answer

Of course you can be a great engineer! Lots of jobs for people with skills. You are right, study coding, mechanical engineering, using tools like Matlab, and do lots of hands on work. Learn CAD well, early. And don't be afraid to fail. Failing is how we learn and repeating is acceptable. Go for it!

0

Rafael’s Answer

Are you currently doing anything about it? Meaning, are you involved in any of those fields?
I'm not sure how old you are, but it seems that you have a passion for computer engineering, I came to the USA with a bachelors degree in Business Administration, I did construction, worked in restaurants, landscaping, and so many others, I did not have the opportunity to get guidance from anyone and I still made it. if you have the opportunity to start studying right now, either online training on any of the fields that you might like, just having access to a computer and the internet it is more than enough, the only way you can be successful in a globalized world is by being the best and not become one more in the crowd.

Rafael recommends the following next steps:

Start now
Keep asking questions
Never give up

Thank you for kind words, I am currently studying Mechatronics and I would like to have good computer science and electronics engineering base. Rainer R.

0