Almost every career requires problem solving skills and continuous education. Information Technology is a rapidly expanding field that is constantly incorporating new innovations, and experiencing new problems that must be solved.
As an example, programming in an integral to keeping information secure and to developing new apps, programs, games and websites. A few examples of jobs that utilize programming are Information/Cyber Security Analysts, Programming, App Development, Server Administrators, and Game Development. Some of the potential challenges are fixing code that has security flaws or that causes bugs and glitches or needing to utilize a programming language that you might not have ever learned. When writing or fixing code even one syntax error such as a semicolon or period in the wrong place in the thousands of lines of code, can cause an error for the entire program.
The pros to IT: It is constantly in demand and will continue to be, the field itself continues to progress and there are many potential careers. It provides job security and can be financially rewarding.
The cons to IT: It can be frustrating at time when attempting to solve problems or integrate new systems or software.
Dallas recommends the following next steps:
But you can consider these Top 12 challenges IT professionals are facing as part of your guideline to consider the pros/cons of IT.
- Skills gaps
- Digital transformation
- Cloud computing
- Leadership support
- Analytics and data management
- Project management
- Career growth
A nice article that I found on the Pros/Cons... https://www.leaderquestonline.com/blog/pros-and-cons-it-professional/
Steve recommends the following next steps:
John recommends the following next steps:
Information Technology is wide and continues to grow at a rapid pace every day. Here are some PROS and CONS.
1. IT is diverse, so you will have plenty of choices to test your interests and then specialize.
2. Learning potential is enormous.
3. Positions relating to problem solving and programming are gratifying.
4. IT can be used to solve problems in every field of study. More options to navigate through your career.
5. High demand technology jobs offer very good pay and perks.
1. You technical skills could become obsolete very quickly
2. Some IT positions require 24x7 availability. Work-life balance may become difficult.
In IT, you'll be faced with constantly having to stay on top of the latest technological advancements in order to stay current. This means that you have to spend a lot of time outside of work getting certifications, doing online training and attending meetups.
Outsourcing makes it so that you can lose your job any time to someone who is cheaper overseas.
IT budgets are constantly under scrutiny by Finance & Accounting. Delays in timelines create friction with the business users who rely on the output of IT.
At the end of the day, IT is at the mercy of the business. They don't drive the narrative so much as react and respond to what the business leaders dictate. You won't be at the forefront of the company driving decisions and won't have the same glamour and respect as the Product, Sales and other client-facing people.
Good luck with your choice.
1) Ever changing field, what you learn today becomes obsolete tomorrow
2) Be on the Edge of the Technologies to survive
3) Lay Offs are very common
4) you may get 9-6 job or may have to work in shifts as well
5) Lot of competition and peer pressure
6) Automation and Innovations are key driving forces and you need to be good at both
7) Working under a Manager and need to be in good books of your superiors to get good hikes and growth
As you can imagine, with the "IT field" being very diverse, both challenges & the pros/cons can be very different depending on your interest areas
You have to keep learning new skills based on current demand. Need to have open mind with respect to learning new technologies.
There will always be risk of job security due to high demand of IT professionals in market.
One must be prepared for workload as that comes by default in IT sector.
To sustain in IT field one need to have adaptive nature as demands from business changes rapidly.
Maintaining work life balance is very crucial in IT else it leads to stress.