34
Asked 4419 views

What should I choose between Technology or Business , I prefer both but which is more benefit and easy to get the job irl ?

I always chasing my dream since it no more my dreams then it will be my goal #success #business #technology #career

34

8

Desiree’s Answer

There are several job opportunities that combine both. I am a business analyst and data architect for Fannie Mae. In my position, my work group is a liaison between the technology team and the business operations team. I have to have knowledge of the technology side and use that regularly (programming, ETL, database work) and have to understand how the business works in order to effectively support them (so in this case, the mortgage operations).

I would encourage you to look for a MIS (management information system) or data architect position because those will often combine the two sides.
8
3

Alisa’s Answer

I would recommend technology. Often candidates that focus on technical skills can actually get hired for business focused jobs. However, you will not encounter the reversed. If I were to go back in time I would focus developing the technical skill sets in university. Hope that helps.
3
3

Kana’s Answer

I would recommend hybrid of business and technology . If you browse courses , currently there are many universities offering management courses in Business and technology. There are several BI tools ( Tableau , Alteryx, TS, Microsoft BI )that helps with this as well.
Thank you comment icon Business Intelligence (BI) is a a perfect example of the crossover of business, analytics, and technical tracts. It bleeds into strategy and operations as well. Terence Cheung
3
3

Terence’s Answer

You absolutely don't need to pick between one or the other, they're both viable and they overlap for sure. My example would be that I knew, growing up in the SF Bay Area, that I wanted to work on the business side of tech. My main comment would be that there are jobs across the entire gradient from "technical" to "non-technical", and everything in between, at every gradient. Simplifying it, you could be a 1-10 on either side, technical or business, you could be 5-5 on both or 7-3, or every permutation in between.

"10" on a technical scale, could be a programmer or a Quality control person that's looking only at the screen, coding all day
"10" on a business side, could be a pure operations or business analyst role, that has nothing to do the programming side
"5-5" on both, could be a product manager or something that blends both sides, requiring technical knowledge, or at least the ability to communicate with techies, and an understanding of where the business is going.
"7-3" might be a engineering manager, that requires deeper development knowledge, but some level of people/project management

There are shades everywhere in-between these roles, so you can really blend both. I encourage you to figure out the following:

1) what do you like to do?
2) what do you not like to do?
3) what are you good at?

1-2 are related to your personality, say you're detail oriented, or you hate the details. Disliking massive structure and details would not match well with being a programmer, since that is all about set structure and minutia. #3 is related more to your professional skills, which is where your work experience may come into play more. Do you gravitate to building solutions to big problems, or figuring out the most detailed, precise issues? Do you thrive with less structure and detail? or Do you need that structure to move forward?

Understanding these may help you decide whether you're more 60%/40% business/techie, or vice versa. Bottom line, there is a job in the workforce for you for whatever shade you are in this mix! You don't need to decide!

3
2

Eric’s Answer

There are degree programs at colleges and universities that combine both technology and business practicum. If you prefer both, then I would suggest you pursue both. Having both in a degree or degrees will benefit you with different view points.
2
1

Syed’s Answer

Hi Tien,

You don't necessarily need to pick between Business and Technology because the fields are so intertwined these days. Here are just some jobs that are at the intersection of business and technology:

1. Venture Capitalist
2. IT Consultant
3. Digital Strategy Consultant
4. Technology Sales
5. Product Management
6. Product Marketing
7. Business Operations at a tech company
1
1

Austin’s Answer

You could double major. Or you could pick a major and minor in the other. Major in engineering and minor in business would be my suggestion. If you have the education and skills in business and engineering/technology you will have many many career options!
1
1

Jason’s Answer

I major in finance and computer science. I had a similar outlook when I was choosing what to accomplish in college. I completely understand how the advice "do what interests you most or that you're most passionate about" is very unhelpful at the stage you're at. If you're a hard worker getting a job won't be difficult no matter which you choose to major in. Remember that club activities and what you do outside of your academics is also very important to possible employers. I recommend researching actual jobs you would like to hold in the future and seeing the prerequisites for those. Really think about what each job would entail and visualize yourself working in each one. Work towards that goal by choosing the major that would best suit that. Good luck!
1
1

Nadia’s Answer

There are plenty of job opportunities in both business and technology fields. Some jobs that require both skills to allow you to work as a liaison between IT and Business. I recommend that you find your passion first and then decide on the field. Also, keep in mind that many people's career and interests evolves as time goes on. You can always double major in IT and business if you have passion for both but also expect more work ahead in college. Best of luck!
1
0

Nick’s Answer

I would agree with Julie that choosing a passion is key, but sometimes it can be hard to find that passion before you have had the chance to experience different jobs and roles.

I work as a consultant for technology companies and in that role, I get to advise clients on how to run their business and ensure that their products meet customer needs. This lets me see different parts of both the tech industry and the business problems companies within it face, which is a very stimulating experience.

To get a job in consulting, it is helpful to have an internship so plan ahead and work with your career management office to identify opporunities early.

0
0

Sethu’s Answer

Hello Tien,

You don't need to trade one for another. Technology is an enabler for all businesses, however in the recent past you may have heard about technology disrupting / transforming businesses (e.g. Uber, AirBnB etc.,) or making traditional business models obsolete. The combination of business and technology know-how can give you an advantage over your peers. As you progress through your career you can choose to toggle between the two or continue to add value by applying the right business - technology combination.
0
0

Alison’s Answer

The great news is business needs technology, so you can do both to use those skills together. If you must choose and are concerned about finding your first job, check out the local job market where you want to live and see which jobs/companies are hiring for what positions. School and your career are a journey, you'll pick up knowledge and experience along the way. With that in mind, if you have to choose one, think about which education is better learned in the classroom from your school and which knowledge can you pick up after graduation (on the job, reading books, or in online classes).

I initially thought I wanted to be an accounting major with a science minor, but liked marketing classes more and technology classes were limited. My first career step was working for a venture capital firm which was a great way to learn more about business in different technology industries. Then I got into marketing for a technology company, there my two passions came together. I'm by no means as technical as technology major or a technology specialist, but I have a pretty good awareness of the basics and the latest trends based on what I've picked up along the way.

Like several other responders above I'd recommend both if you can, at minimum check out classes for both and see which you like better. That will help guide you to your passion. Work is work, sometimes it's hard, but when you get to use skills you enjoy using in your day to day, it makes work fun.

Alison recommends the following next steps:

Take classes in technology and business before declaring a major
Try to double major
If you picked one major, keep up on the other topic after graduation (reading books, taking online classes, working in a role where you learn more)
0
0

Ashwin’s Answer

Hi Tien,

Great question. I remember having similar dilemma 10 years ago. I'm not sure if double major is possible for you and how difficult it would be. It could be too much to ask. Don't be too hard on yourself and enjoy this journey :)

My best advice is to follow your passion which in simple words is follow what you enjoy doing. Read little bit more about what is involved in IT and Business to get some ideas. Both IT and Business are big areas and there are too many opportunities in each of them.

None of them (IT/Business) are going away anywhere and there would be still jobs in both fields.

In general, switching careers from core IT to core Business is easier than moving from Business to IT.
However, these days everything involves some version of IT even if you major in business you would have to know some IT (if not core computer science algorithms/development skills).
0
0

Cathy’s Answer

Hi Tien,

Great question! You did not mention specifically what in Business you are looking at. I personally went to college for accounting. I did not do a second major. In my current position i am an accountant that uses technological skills to work with and analyze large datasets. We believe that the future of accountants/financial analysts will also require them to be capable of using technological skills. When looking at resumes we tend to lean towards a person that has an accounting/finance major with a minor in MIS.
0
0

Sena’s Answer

Hi Tien,
Good question! I'd do both if i could go back to uni.
Because I'm in Sales in IT where appreciate both!
If you have knowledge in both, you could do much more which means you could have a lot more opportunities.
You might do double majors or start with one in major, the other one in minor. :)
0
0

Cristina’s Answer

Hey Tien! That is a really great question! So there are a lot of opportunities to utilize technology in business and it's super important to develop technological skills within Excel, Alteryx, and Tableau. You can pursue a career in Accounting where we utilize Tableau, Alteryx, and Excel daily! I would definitely consider taking classes in MIS (Management Information Systems) and accounting classes to see what you're interested in!
0
0