What should I choose between Technology or Business , I prefer both but which is more benefit and easy to get the job irl ?

I always chasing my dream since it no more my dreams then it will be my goal #success #business #technology #career

30

Desiree’s Answer

There are several job opportunities that combine both. I am a business analyst and data architect for Fannie Mae. In my position, my work group is a liaison between the technology team and the business operations team. I have to have knowledge of the technology side and use that regularly (programming, ETL, database work) and have to understand how the business works in order to effectively support them (so in this case, the mortgage operations).

I would encourage you to look for a MIS (management information system) or data architect position because those will often combine the two sides.

11

Eric’s Answer

There are degree programs at colleges and universities that combine both technology and business practicum. If you prefer both, then I would suggest you pursue both. Having both in a degree or degrees will benefit you with different view points.

2

Alisa’s Answer

I would recommend technology. Often candidates that focus on technical skills can actually get hired for business focused jobs. However, you will not encounter the reversed. If I were to go back in time I would focus developing the technical skill sets in university. Hope that helps.

1

Austin’s Answer

You could double major. Or you could pick a major and minor in the other. Major in engineering and minor in business would be my suggestion. If you have the education and skills in business and engineering/technology you will have many many career options!

1

Jason’s Answer

I major in finance and computer science. I had a similar outlook when I was choosing what to accomplish in college. I completely understand how the advice "do what interests you most or that you're most passionate about" is very unhelpful at the stage you're at. If you're a hard worker getting a job won't be difficult no matter which you choose to major in. Remember that club activities and what you do outside of your academics is also very important to possible employers. I recommend researching actual jobs you would like to hold in the future and seeing the prerequisites for those. Really think about what each job would entail and visualize yourself working in each one. Work towards that goal by choosing the major that would best suit that. Good luck!

1

Ashwin’s Answer

Hi Tien,

Great question. I remember having similar dilemma 10 years ago. I'm not sure if double major is possible for you and how difficult it would be. It could be too much to ask. Don't be too hard on yourself and enjoy this journey :)

My best advice is to follow your passion which in simple words is follow what you enjoy doing. Read little bit more about what is involved in IT and Business to get some ideas. Both IT and Business are big areas and there are too many opportunities in each of them.

None of them (IT/Business) are going away anywhere and there would be still jobs in both fields.

In general, switching careers from core IT to core Business is easier than moving from Business to IT.
However, these days everything involves some version of IT even if you major in business you would have to know some IT (if not core computer science algorithms/development skills).

0

Gabriela’s Answer

Hi Tien,

The great news is that you don't have to pick among the two :) There are many universities that offer majors combining both business and technology. I personally graduated with a Computer Information Systems degree from James Madison University, and the JMU CIS curriculum involved both 15+ business classes (Accounting, Finance, Marketing, Strategic Management, Business Law, Management, Operations etc.) and 12+ technology classes (Database, Java Programming, Python Programming, Network, Cyber Security, Web Design etc.) Universities usually offer the MIS / CIS degree as part of their College of Business, comprising a strong core foundation in business along with developing technical skills.

There is a high demand for professionals who understand both Business and Technology as the gap between the two becomes narrower.

0

Brian’s Answer

Technology is the business, it's only old paradigms that separate them into different disciplines. Seek your passion first, always. You are most likely to experience success early in your career when you are doing something you love or that you enjoy learning about. Other opportunities or pathways will open up throughout your career where you will be able to lean in to either new technologies or business management disciplines.

It's great to see you on CareerVillage! Flor Wickham

0

Nadia’s Answer

There are plenty of job opportunities in both business and technology fields. Some jobs that require both skills to allow you to work as a liaison between IT and Business. I recommend that you find your passion first and then decide on the field. Also, keep in mind that many people's career and interests evolves as time goes on. You can always double major in IT and business if you have passion for both but also expect more work ahead in college. Best of luck!

0

James’s Answer

Austin and Desiree have good advice for you. It is incredibly smart to pair a technology degree with a business degree. Your resume will be a real powerhouse if it has a tech degree, say focused on cyber-security and you also have a business degree, especially an MBA. That requires a lot of school but those kind of educational credentials will make your resume stand out.
Also, I worked my way through college, especially during my MBA. This meant it took me a little longer to graduate, but when I did not only did I have an MBA, but I had real work experience. Employers generally like to see that you already have some work experience. Good luck!

0

Cristina’s Answer

Hey Tien! That is a really great question! So there are a lot of opportunities to utilize technology in business and it's super important to develop technological skills within Excel, Alteryx, and Tableau. You can pursue a career in Accounting where we utilize Tableau, Alteryx, and Excel daily! I would definitely consider taking classes in MIS (Management Information Systems) and accounting classes to see what you're interested in!

0

Kana’s Answer

I would recommend hybrid of business and technology . If you browse courses , currently there are many universities offering management courses in Business and technology. There are several BI tools ( Tableau , Alteryx, TS, Microsoft BI )that helps with this as well.

0

Carlos’s Answer

Hi Tien - I would agree with several of the earlier posts suggesting a combination of both, when possible. Regardless on whether you major/minor in one or both, I would prioritize classes that allow you to develop technical skills (coding, data analysis, presentation/communication skills, etc.) as well as opportunities to leverage them in a real world setting (e.g., internships, volunteering, partnering with local businesses).

At a more tactical level, I would suggest you spend some time thinking about what parts of a job/career you (think you might) enjoy most. Do you like interacting with clients? Problem-solving? Designing and coding a solution? Selling it? Figuring out what is the best market/approach? All of the above? You've got a lot of time to figure it out so definitely take advantage of the classes and opportunities at your school and through your network and you'll be off at a great start. Good luck!

0

Syed’s Answer

Hi Tien,

You don't necessarily need to pick between Business and Technology because the fields are so intertwined these days. Here are just some jobs that are at the intersection of business and technology:

1. Venture Capitalist
2. IT Consultant
3. Digital Strategy Consultant
4. Technology Sales
5. Product Management
6. Product Marketing
7. Business Operations at a tech company

0

Peter’s Answer

What is extremely valuable in the work environment today is being able to translate technology in business terms to the business. My recommendation is try to find that balance with major / minors while in college to position you have to have this unique skillset.

0

Nick’s Answer

I would agree with Julie that choosing a passion is key, but sometimes it can be hard to find that passion before you have had the chance to experience different jobs and roles.

I work as a consultant for technology companies and in that role, I get to advise clients on how to run their business and ensure that their products meet customer needs. This lets me see different parts of both the tech industry and the business problems companies within it face, which is a very stimulating experience.

To get a job in consulting, it is helpful to have an internship so plan ahead and work with your career management office to identify opporunities early.

0

Julie’s Answer

You should choose whatever you are most passionate about, which will mean work won't feel like work. Technology drives almost everything we do these days, so there's certainly a ton of opportunity there. Good luck!

0

Kyle’s Answer

Most jobs in business involve technology. Educating yourself in technology (such as tableau and alteryx) and being able to use technology to bring value to business will help you stand out as a candidate for a job in business.

0

Cathy’s Answer

Hi Tien,

Great question! You did not mention specifically what in Business you are looking at. I personally went to college for accounting. I did not do a second major. In my current position i am an accountant that uses technological skills to work with and analyze large datasets. We believe that the future of accountants/financial analysts will also require them to be capable of using technological skills. When looking at resumes we tend to lean towards a person that has an accounting/finance major with a minor in MIS.

0

Patty’s Answer

I believe you can double major in Business and IT. There are many technology options within the Business major and these 2 go quite nicely together.

0

Emily’s Answer

I am here to say that I work corporately within in a technology company and it's been great. I am passionate about new technology but also get the benefit of furthering the business on the corporate side. I don't think you can go wrong either way!

0

Brian’s Answer

I would say technology. Technology skills are easily transferrable between many different business types. Good Luck!

0

Lucy’s Answer

Those 2 areas go hand in hand most of the time. If you can, i would say take a major in one and minor in the other. They are both very marketable in my opinion.

0

Sethu’s Answer

Hello Tien,

You don't need to trade one for another. Technology is an enabler for all businesses, however in the recent past you may have heard about technology disrupting / transforming businesses (e.g. Uber, AirBnB etc.,) or making traditional business models obsolete. The combination of business and technology know-how can give you an advantage over your peers. As you progress through your career you can choose to toggle between the two or continue to add value by applying the right business - technology combination.

0

Riley’s Answer

I'm not sure which field would land you a job quicker, because this would depend on the specific major you choose and the degree of education that you pursue. However, I might have a good major for you to choose from. I have always had a passion for technology, so I entered college as a software engineer. After a few years, though, I felt that it was too heavy on math classes for me and I wasn't interested in this. I decided to change my major to Computer Information Systems, which is a major in the business field that has a focus on technology. This major set me up very well to be open to more positions because I am not only proficient in most business concepts, but also in technology. If you are having trouble deciding between the two fields, this might be a good option for you.

0

Alison’s Answer

The great news is business needs technology, so you can do both to use those skills together. If you must choose and are concerned about finding your first job, check out the local job market where you want to live and see which jobs/companies are hiring for what positions. School and your career are a journey, you'll pick up knowledge and experience along the way. With that in mind, if you have to choose one, think about which education is better learned in the classroom from your school and which knowledge can you pick up after graduation (on the job, reading books, or in online classes).

I initially thought I wanted to be an accounting major with a science minor, but liked marketing classes more and technology classes were limited. My first career step was working for a venture capital firm which was a great way to learn more about business in different technology industries. Then I got into marketing for a technology company, there my two passions came together. I'm by no means as technical as technology major or a technology specialist, but I have a pretty good awareness of the basics and the latest trends based on what I've picked up along the way.

Like several other responders above I'd recommend both if you can, at minimum check out classes for both and see which you like better. That will help guide you to your passion. Work is work, sometimes it's hard, but when you get to use skills you enjoy using in your day to day, it makes work fun.

Alison recommends the following next steps:

Take classes in technology and business before declaring a major
Try to double major
If you picked one major, keep up on the other topic after graduation (reading books, taking online classes, working in a role where you learn more)

0

Misako’s Answer

I suggest that you pursue both. There are opportunities to use both skill sets. Also, if you get into a job in one field and find that you are unhappy in that field, you have another option available.

0

Stephen’s Answer

Good question, Tien! I feel that all of the responses here provide solid advice. One thing I'd like to add is that business and technology are tightly coupled - especially as you progress in your career and move into more senior roles.

From a business viewpoint, it has become increasingly important over the years to understand the basics of technology. Technology enables the business, and especially in this era of digitization having at least a contextual understanding of how the technology supports the business work you're doing is critical. From a technology viewpoint, it is important to understand what the business is doing with your product or service so that you can address business requests.

Obtaining a dual degree in business and technology is one option you may want to consider. Another is to obtain a technology degree as an undergrad, get a few years of work experience, and then return for an MBA to understand the business side. Many employers will offer financial assistance to obtain degrees. It may take longer, but often having relevant work experience is required for an MBA.

Hope this helps, and best wishes!

0