Should I take a finance-related course?

Asked Stanford, California

I'm not planning on going into any finance-related program, but there are definitely some finance-related things I'd like to learn about to prepare for my future such as the following: how to do taxes, understanding the economy and the market, and how to invest. However, I'm not good at mathematics nor do I enjoy doing it, so I tend to stray away from math courses. What should I do? #finance #mathematics #math #economics #investing #investment #economy

Donald’s Answer

Updated Alexandria, Virginia

There are a number of things that I suggest. First, many colleges, community and otherwise, offer (both classroom and online) personal finance courses. This is a great way to become familiar with finance terms, investing, etc. As the director of a investment division for a bank a few years ago, I found that customers with even a little knowledge of personal finance made much better decisions. Second, there are a number of books that are available to help you, just a couple of examples: The Vest Pocket guide to Business ratios, The Mathematics of Investing. Investigate some of those. Third, read the personal finance section of your newspaper or go online and review specific topics. Lastly, I know that many finance people don't like her advice but I think that Susie Orman offers great advice and one can learn much by just watching her show. Good Luck.

Nick’s Answer

Updated Washington, Washington
It never hurts to take a basic finance course. From a business and personal perspective, it makes sense. If you are still in high school, there is probably a financial planning class you can take or a onlineMOOG class that won’t cost you anything. Also, another good idea is to learn to budget your living expenses and never spend more than you make. Good luck and good idea, Nick