What types of programs should I learn if I want to be a chemical engineer?

6

Aloha,

My name is Kyrstin D. , I'm a college student working on a Chemistry BS major, and I want to be a chemical engineer.

I'm currently working as an administrative assistant at an electrical engineering company, and I was wondering if any of the programs used at my company would be good for me to get acquainted with -- for, both, giving me more insight into how it is to be a chemical engineer and allowing me to have a more stand-out portfolio when I'm applying to be a Chemical Engineering grad student.

Thank you so much for providing the time to answer my question, and I hope everyone is safe and well during these times.

#chemical-engineering #chemical-engineer #engineering #engineer #chemistry

6

Maneet’s Answer

1
you can do MSC or MS in Chemical Engineering.

you can look for colleges here
https://www.collegedekho.com/msc-chemical_engineering-colleges-in-india/

I will suggest you to focus on your education first and do jobs later as doing a degree, gaining knowledge and being meritorious Only will reap you results in long run.

All the best.
1

1
You need to get a degree in Chemical Engineering, I would switch your major as soon as possible. You could also complete your BS in chemistry, then get a Master's degree in Chemical Engineering.
1

1
I agree. If you are interested in doing Chemical Engineering I would switch during your BS and then go into the MS vs doing Chemistry in you BS and then try to get into a Chemical Engineering MS. In engineering you will have to a math courses so I would highly recommend you to gear towards that. Programs to be familiarized with that you will use a lot in engineering will be Microsoft Excel. There are other modeling software that the company you are working for may not have. I am a chemical engineer and I liked my endless possibilities of industries I could work on. I highly recommend the degree. Heyde Lopez Translate
Hello, thank you so much for answering my question. I'm intending on getting my Master's in Chemical Engineering, hence I was wondering if there are any software I should get acquainted with as I do know that there are engineering software and additional curricula in Chemical Engineering BS that Chemistry BS does not cover. I'm really sorry for any confusion my comment brought. There is a computer engineer in the company that I could consult to help me out with Excel, I will talk to him once I get back to work from my finals season. Kyrstin D. Translate
There are programs such as CAD being used at the company, and I was wondering if I should also learn that software as well. Additionally, I'm extremely grateful for everyone helping me out with my inquiry, it's really assuring to know that there really are kind people out there who intend to help people out as much as they can. Thank you so much for your help. Kyrstin D. Translate
1

Maneet’s Answer

1

you can look for colleges here

All the best.
Hello, thank you so much for answering my question. I do intend on pursuing a Master's in Chemical Engineering, and I will probably check out the link you provided afterwards. Thank you so much for your help. In regards to my job, I'm thankfully lucky enough to be given a boss and employees that are willing to be incredulously flexible and patient with my academic schedule so I'm ok with handling both responsibilities as I intend to use the opportunity to learn more about time management when I'm still kid; as well as, learn more about myself career-wise. Again thank you so much for your help and your willingness to help me. Kyrstin D. Translate
1

Jarron’s Answer

0
Hi Kyrstin,
I am a biomedical engineer doing research in the field of materials engineering/biomaterials. I use a lot of pretty common programs. I'd say the most important are Excel, Python, and MATLAB. I'm sure this varies from job to job, but I think that learning these three programs is a great place to start. Python and MATLAB will help you begin developing your problem solving skills, and you can apply these to nearly any computational program/coding language. I hope this helps!
0