If I am unsure of which job field I'm going into, how do I know whether I should go to college? Should I take a gap year?

I am very much considering taking a gap year, however some people around me seem to discourage it. I know I do not want to go into college if I go into a field where it is unnecessary, such as filming, which I am considering. Any suggestions? #college #career #career-choice #careers #gap-year #undecided

3

Keith’s Answer

Even if you are not certain what you want to do, going to college will expose you to fields of study you may find interest you. Without that exposure, it will be harder to determine what you want. For example, if you are interested in film, studying it in school will help you decide if you want to pursue that, or something else entirely.

If you are considering a gap year, you should be certain to have a concrete plan of what you want to accomplish during that time. Otherwise, you risk loosing momentum and not going forward with your education. For example, if you start working, it will be difficult to return to school, even though it will help in the long term. And without a plan, you won't learn more about what you like and don't like.

0

Cristel’s Answer

Hi
Taking the time to find your interests and narrow down your field of study should be your focus. The gap year could help do this, provided you step outside your comfort Zone during that gap year. This could include travel or internships in a couple jobs you are curious about, or studying a new language far from home, or auditing some free college classes (at community college or online).
I'd also ask people around you why they are recommending against a gap year, ask why 5 times and you will get to the root cause of their reservations
Good
Luck

Thank you for the answer. Most of the people I've talked to have said they think I'll end up not going back to college if I take a year off, however if that is true after using that year wisely it might be because it's proven to be more effective than college and thus college may not be the best for me. Thank you for the advice and I'll definitely consider it if I take a year off. Mary R.

Good call! Sara Cooper

0