2 answers

What's the most uselful graduate degree in psychology?

Asked Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio

I'm working on a degree in psychology, but don't necessarily want to be a clinical psychologist. I'm fascinated by cognitive, social, and political psychology. Are careers realistically available in these areas, and if so what degree would be necessary? #psychology #politics #consulting #social-psychology #forensic-psychology #cognitive-psychology #cognition

2 answers

Samantha’s Answer

Updated Raleigh, North Carolina
Hi Cherie! Psychology has a lot of different focus areas outside of just clinical psychology. Most psychology fields require at least a master's degree, but some require a Ph.D. as well (especially if you'd be interested in performing research or being a professor). A lot of these fields are growing quickly as businesses and government organizations realize the important role psychology has in their operations. Based on the interests you mentioned, it sounds like applied social psychology, industrial-organizational psychology, or human factors might be the most interesting to you. However, you should check out the websites listed below and decide what sounds the best for you! Good luck! http://www.apa.org/action/careers/index.aspx http://www.siop.org/studentdefault.aspx http://www.apa.org/action/science/organizational/index.aspx http://www.apa.org/action/science/human-factors/index.aspx http://www.apa.org/action/science/social/index.aspx

Trisha’s Answer

Updated Columbia, South Carolina
Hi Cherie! I, too, studied psychology in college and loved learning about cognitive and social psychology. I encourage you to network with your professors to learn about available internships to explore the different areas of psychology, social work and counseling. Internships are a great way to get your feet wet and start narrowing down the specifics of what you like and dislike. For example, I worked as a paraprofessional counselor in a summer treatment program for adolescents with Conduct Disorder, Oppositional Defiant Disorder and ADHD. Our focus was behavior modification and teaching the students general resources to help improve their school/home life. It was an amazing opportunity to learn about behavioral and learning disorders and I learned a lot about myself and what I wanted to do from that internship. Some additional graduate degrees to research are a master of social work or a master in counseling, as well. All great options. Check out the links below to learn more! https://www.mastersincounseling.org/ms-vs-ma-in-counseling-whats-the-difference.html https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Social_Work