Can someone help me find a job?

I'm only 15 and I need help looking for a job that will accept me. #help #job #career #job-search

12

Marina’s Answer

Like you, I had the desire to find my first job at 15 years old. My family was going through a financial hardship at the time and I wanted to help my parents. I clearly remember telling my mom: "I'll pump gas - I don't care!" (Note: Oregon is one of the few states where you are not allowed to pump your own gas into your vehicle.)

My first job was at a retail store after I graduated high school. The first job of some of my good friends included: grocery store clerk/stockperson, salesperson at a cell phone store, sandwich maker, food server/dishwasher at a restaurant, ice cream scooper, library assistant, babysitter, dog sitter/walker. It is very important to read and know the laws around hours of work & minimum wage AND get your parents's (or other adult figure's) permission to apply for jobs.

Find a company/brand you like and see what entry level jobs they have available. You'll learn so much about yourself in your first job - whatever and wherever you choose. Be sure to develop those successful work habits that will carry on throughout your career too: be kind, show up on time, do good work.

4

Don't give up if you can't find a job right away Iiyah. A job search takes persistence and patience. It's important to keep trying, because a potential employer will notice if you have the determination and the drive to find a job.

5 TIPS FOR APPLYING FOR YOUR FIRST JOB

1) CHECK WITH YOUR PARENTS FIRST – For example Iiyah, if you're only 15 you can only work 3 hours per day and a maximum of 18 hours per week. Depending on where you live, you may need Working Papers (Employment/Age Certificate) signed by a parent before you can start a job.

2) BE FLEXIBLE – Sometimes a job might not be exactly what you're looking for, but it puts you in contact with people or organizations that might help you in the future. Also, don't be too quick to turn down a volunteer position as your first job. Sometimes the best compensation is experience - and future employers love to see volunteer experience on your resume.

3) NETWORK – Many jobs come through referrals from people you know, so it's important to let everyone know you're looking for a job. This is where your parents and their friends, teachers, coaches and other adults can be a great resource. Be sure to mention the kind of work you'd like to do, but don't turn down an opportunity just because it's not the perfect job. It might lead to the job you really want.

4) BE READY FOR A INTERVIEW – When you apply for a job in-person, you may be asked to interview on-the-spot, or you could be invited to come back at a scheduled time in the future. Because you don’t know when you’ll be interviewing, it’s always a good idea to take the time to prepare in advance. You should also review the most frequently asked job interview questions employers ask teen job seekers.

5) JOB SEARCH ONLINE – Check websites that list local job openings. Check your local Chamber of Commerce website (Google your city/town name and Chamber of Commerce to find it) to see if they list jobs. There are lots of sources of employment opportunities, both for part-time during the school year and for great summer jobs. You can use the job search engines below to search by keyword part-time and your location to find job listings in your city or town.

Indeed – https://www.indeed.com/
LinkedIn – https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/
Google – https://careers.google.com/jobs/
Joblist – https://www.joblist.com/
Glassdoor – https://www.glassdoor.com/Job/

Hope this was Helpful Iiyah

Thank You Jason. “We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men.” – Herman Melville John Frick

Than You Aun. “At the end of the day it’s not about what you have or even what you’ve accomplished… it’s about who you’ve lifted up, who you’ve made better. It’s about what you’ve given back.” – Denzel Washington John Frick

4

Jason’s Answer

Hi Liyah,

The very first question that popped up into my head when I first read your question was "why do you want a job when you're 15 years old?" Most 15 y.o. do not care too much about having a job right now. Instead they are more focused on school and academics. Therefore, my biggest question for you right now is why do you want a job at this age?

There is a slight legal problem with you working at a young age of 15 years old. Essentially, anyone who is under the legal age of 16 (which includes you) has special work requirements that can make it difficult for employers to hire a teen. See the link and information below for more details.

If you are looking for field experience then your best bet is to email, call, or otherwise contact companies that interest you and ask them about opportunities for you to job shadow someone. Maybe you want to figure out what it's like to work as a manager or a sales representative or a nurse in a hospital or practically anything. You can try calling different companies or different individuals and ask them about job shadowing opportunities. Again, this will allow you to learn what it's like to work different jobs. You are not employed nor will you be paid.

If you are looking to earn money then the process will be different. Retail and sales will be your best bet when it comes to finding a job at the age of 15 y.o. That said, there are still plenty of opportunities outside of retail and sales so long as you remain persistent enough to apply and can convince others of your capabilities. LinkedIn, Glassdoor, Craigslist, Indeed, and Monster are all good places to start your job search. You will need to build a resume before applying for any jobs. You can also try talking directly with a store manager to see if they would consider hiring you (they will very likely still require you to apply online but at least after talking with you that they will keep an eye out for your application).

Source: https://www.thebalancecareers.com/minimum-age-to-work-in-washington-2085384

What Hours Can Teens Work?
Although teens ages 14-15 can work in a variety of jobs, including in retail, hospitals, and corporations, the hours they work are limited. Youth this age can't work more than three hours on a school day, 16 hours in a school week, eight hours on a non-school day or 40 hours during a non-school week.

Additionally, these teens must work hours that fall between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. (except from June 1 through Labor Day, when working hours extend to 9 p.m.) Teens ages 16-17 may work up to four hours on school days, eight hours Friday through Sunday, and 20 hours during school weeks.

Neither age group may work more than six days in a row whether or not while school is in session. When school is out, older teens may work up to 48 hours between the hours of 5 a.m. to midnight (during the school year they work until 10 p.m. or midnight on weekends). Younger teens may work up to 40 hours when school is out and up until 9 p.m. at night during summers.

2

Christine’s Answer

My first job when I was 15 was at a grocery store. I started out pushing carts and then moved up to cashier. In our current situation, you will definitely need to think about the risks and find something with less human contact if you have any concerns!

When I was 16 I was interested in accounting, so I got another job at an auditing company doing office work (copying, filing, data entry, etc). That was a great way to see what people in that field do on a daily basis.

I think I found both of these jobs through the job board at my high school, so you can cehck with your school administrators to see if they have something similar. Otherwise, just go in an ask how to apply or look online since many of these types of places are always hiring.

1

Kamesha’s Answer

This post has provided great resources for job ideas for the age of 15. One post mentioned a job work permit since you are under the age of a 16 while the other gave you guidelines for how many hours you could work. The work permit is attainable so don’t let that deter you from personal experience. I also suggest looking for ways for self employment such as mowing yards, babysitting, pet sitting, dog walker, etc. as there are endless opportunities.

Hope this helps!

0

Riley’s Answer

I'm not sure about how it is where you are, but where I live in Florida one of our grocery store chains is known to hire very young people. For most jobs, you will need to be at least 16; but you could inquire about the grocery stores in your area because some of them might hire as young as 14. Good luck!

0

Gina’s Answer

Depends on where you live, but some states you can gt a work permit if you're not 16. Grocery stores, babysitting, yardwork for neighbors are all good starts. Also, a couple job search engines might be of assistance:
indeed.com
linkedin.com
glassdoor.com

0

Emily’s Answer

Chick-Fil-A hires 15 year olds. Good Luck!!

Also, you may be able to find a regular babysitting position for the summer. Check with local churches to see if you can put a flyer on their bulletin board.

0

Emily’s Answer

0

I am very impressed coming from a 15 year old. In addition to suggestions from above, i would ask you field of interest. Money should be a major concern given you ago. I would suggest you look for a field that you are interested and look to work there, for free if pay isn't available. It will help you to really find out if you are truly interested in that field.

Also, speak with people who who had been there and done that... By having exposure of people in that field, you can better understand the insight and where you stand. Good luck!

0

Robert’s Answer

Hi is there anything that you are looking at to start like retail, foods, etc. Do you have any friends that have jobs that you would like to work with? I don't know what is available right now in your area and most jobs want you to apply online. Good luck on your search.

0

celeste’s Answer

Hello,
I think it is great that you are driven at such a young age to get out there and get a job!

My 1st question would be, "What are your interests?"
What do you like to do? Do you like kids? Do you like animals? Art? Working outside? Working with a team or alone?
Once you decided where your interests are begin looking. Start reaching out to small local business or reach out to family friends (babysitting or walking dogs).
There are some business that hire under 16 years of age with restrictions (fast food) so you can always look into them.
While you are looking you can always volunteer to many places! Volunteering is good for the soul, gives you a great opportunity to gain experience which is amazing to put on your resume!

Good Luck to you! I wish you the best!!

0