This is great question and has been asked at all career levels.
To answer - We need to address few key points:
1) What are your career goals , professional interest and passion?
2) What's your current career level and progression planned?
3) Opportunities in and around your location?
4) Personal commitments/situations regarding travel and relocation to help decide goals?
From my perspective, the key to answers "Specialist" vs "Generalist" with
- At start , learn as much as you can subjectively with experience from Projects in your school/work
- Don't follow others and identify your own passion,strengths without bias towards financial returns
- After gaining some experience(with aging), introspect and re-align your priority . You may very well have a different perspective on a subject.
- Always keep Open & growth mindset as changes in today's world are happening faster than we ever saw earlier.
Last updated Oct 27 '17 at 13:29