what are some potential jobs you could do if you study in biology in college?

I am studying biology in college, but I do not know how does this major helps me in future career. I understand that my future job might have nothing related to what I study in college. Asides from being a researcher working in labs, what other jobs this major would lead to?
People also said with only biology undergraduate degree would not do anything, so I should pursue another degree or graduate school. What are other majors or skills I should have together with biology to be a more outstanding candidate?

#biology # #job #career #major ##july20 #business #research #biology-major

5

Shivani’s Answer

Hi Joy,

The benefits of majoring in biology in college are quite a few! Some careers that use a biology degree include environmental science, biotechnology, pharmacy, forensic sciences, medicine (that's what I did :)), dentistry. Finally, another route you could take is consulting (helping explain science to companies and businesses who invest in scientific companies). We always need scientists to help translate scientific ideas to the general public and lay audiences!

I myself majored in Biochem in college and had some of the best experiences using my bio background! I was a science journalist for my university newspaper, writing articles about research and big science news stories of all fields of science! I myself am not a huge research person, never did any. Would like to tell you if that is not your interest, there are lots of other opportunities!

Hope this helps
Shivani

Hi Shivani! thank you for your response! I never knew that consultant was also tied to the STEM majors. Would look into that as well. I have another question. What would you do if you did not end up in medical school? In other words, what would you want to do if you are not a doctor? thanks, Joy Joy Z.

Hi Joy, Great question, I think I would become a science journalist to spread info to the general public about cool discoveries with geology and space. I took some classes in college that peaked my interest! I would also consider consulting for pharma companies to help explain their drugs in more simple terms to get investors interested! I think translating a science background into a business career is very much needed these days! Scientists tend to only speak in complicated language to each other these days! Shivani Kamal

Hi Shivani, Wow! That's right. A very needed field indeed. So then, that would be tied more to the business field, correct? Joy Z.

2

Adrianna’s Answer

Jobs in college are always a struggle, and hard to come by with the high competition. If you are looking for something that is similar to your interest in biology (animals, plants, people, cells...ect) than try looking at your universities lab, look at grad students research projects and so on. I think one good and easy way to get experience is volunteering. It's less competitive so you're almost guaranteed a position.

I have a degree in Zoology (the animal only side of biology) and though I wasn't able to work any jobs that were directly related to my field I did a lot of rehabilitation and shelter volunteering as well as taking internships over the summer.

To answer your question about getting a job with a BS in Biology, well they aren't completely correct that you can't get a job, it's just that its much more highly competitive and more difficult, as I am currently experiencing. If you are like me and want to use your degree to be outside and do research, you will likely find jobs that have you doing mainly grunt work for a higher up researcher (which at this point I am okay with). If you work your way through that job you may find that that company or job site is willing to promote you or pay for you to get a higher education level.

It is a challenge in the working field for a B.S. but it isn't impossible, you need to make a competitive resume and apply for a lot of jobs. If possible try to broaden your scope to all over the U.S. or even the world!

thank you for your advice! It makes me think more about my current path. Joy Z.

1

Galia’s Answer

Hi Joy,

I also majored in biology for my undergraduate studies. And many years later, I am so glad I did. It is a general subject matter for sciences and medicine career. Of course, it can lead to graduate school studies and the different medicine specialties, but it can also stop at undergraduate degree, and become a foundation to a pharmaceuticals/biotechnology job, where you can learn on the job in different departments: regulatory, clinical development, compliance, quality assurance and even sales. Studying is never a waste.

0

Calvin’s Answer

Hi Joy,
As others have stated, Biology degree is a great start to the medical career. I am an engineer, but always wanted to be in the medical field because of how you can help people. So, pick a major that can lead you to something that you are passionate about. That's the most important thing, in my opinion.

Best of luck to you!

Calvin

0