what are some things people dont tell you about being a doctor?

3

Estelle’s Answer

I have been practicing gynecology for 30 years, and I feel so very fortunate to have a job that I enjoy so very much. People never told me how rewarding being a physician would be. You hear all the time how doctors want to help people, but you don't hear how patients reward your efforts with gratitude and appreciation.
The other thing that I did not realize is how stressful the job would be at times. I care tremendously about my patients, and it's hard to deal with disappointments when things don't go as well as I want or complications occur. This just takes time to learn to manage.

0

My career as a medical doctor has been even better than I thought it would be when I started. I would do it again if given the chance.

There are things that occur that were unexpected.
Medical school requires persistence more than extreme intelligence.
If making money is one's goal don't do medicine. Medical doctors make a nice living but few are among very rich.
Remember, through out your career, that peoples' well being is your main objective. This must always be put first in every decision.
A career in medicine may be hard on a family, but both can be done successfully.

0

Dan’s Answer

If you mean doctor as in Physician, than I would say it doesn't end once you're done medical school. Medical school is more of a way to prove that you are good enough to learn how to actually become a physician -- that is where residency comes in. This is where you specialize and become a doctor.

0