Carlos P.

91

2

How many school years will it take to become an attorney?

I want to find out how long it would take me to become an attorney, if I decide to follow that path. #law #lawyer #criminal-justice #attorney #criminal-law

It took me 10 years of school after high school. However, it took me 5 years to finish undergrad, 2 years for grad school and then 3 years of law school. Grad school is not really needed for law school, so you could probably do it in much less time than me. I would say 7 years at a minimum after high school unless you are able to finish college early (4 years of college and 3 years of law school). You will also have to take the bar after law school to become licensed as an attorney, so that can be another 6 months of time after law school graduation. That may seem like a long time, but the time goes by very quickly.

Last updated May 26 '16 at 23:16

The standard is 7 years: Four years to get your Bachelor's degree, and three years for law school.

Last updated May 30 '16 at 09:28

I will add that during the 7 years you are always learning new skills from experienced professors, mentors, and bosses, which will be tremendously a valuable skills throughout your legal career. And beginning with the second year of law school, student usually have more flexibility to design a curriculum relevant to their specific professional interests.

Last updated Sep 30 '16 at 21:46

I agree with the above, 4 years of undergraduate and 3 years of law school. However, some schools will offer additional cooperative programs in addition to the traditional classroom learning environments. These cooperative programs offer real world, practical experience, but may add to the overall length of time needed to complete your studies.
Last updated Oct 19 at 14:31

7 years if you go full time. 4 undergraduate (college), and 3 years of law school. However, many programs have part time and night studies so you can still go to college and law school while you are working a full or part time job. It is a long journey, but worth the reward. Especially if you like to learn.
Last updated Oct 19 at 15:25

icon-country-tags Ashburn, VA, USA

Schools Add a schools