How to take care of yourself

I feel myself always getting into a funk. With everything that I am doing in college and work I don't have time for myself or to spend time with others. What are some things you do to take care of yourself and not feel guilty about it? #sad

4

SIGNS OF PHYSICAL & EMOTIONAL EXHAUSTION

CHRONIC FATIGUE – In the early stages, you may feel a lack of energy and feel tired most days. In the latter stages, you feel physically and emotionally exhausted, drained, and depleted, and you may feel a sense of dread about what lies ahead on any given day.

INSOMNIA – In the early stages, you may have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep one or two nights a week. In the latter stages, insomnia may turn into a persistent, nightly ordeal; as exhausted as you are, you can't sleep.

LOSS OF APPETITE – In the early stages, you may not feel hungry and may skip a few meals. In the latter stages, you may lose your appetite altogether and begin to lose a significant amount of weight.

ANXIETY – Early on, you may experience mild symptoms of tension, worry, and edginess. As you move closer to burnout, the anxiety may become so serious that it interferes with your ability to work productively and may cause problems in your personal life.

Melody if you start recognizing some of the symptoms above in yourself, it’s time to make changes before you experience full-blown academic burnout. Also, if you have a heavy semester or degree coming up, you may be worried about getting burnt out and looking to prevent it from the start. Good for you! There are many easy ways you can change your habits and lifestyle to prevent burnout in school.

Hope this was Helpful

John recommends the following next steps:

Make Time for Enjoyable Activities – And not just on the weekend! Sprinkle your calendar with things you love to do throughout the week, and you’ll start to feel more motivated to start your classes.
Get Plenty of Physical Exercise – Try to exercise at least three times a week, stay hydrated and eat healthy to keep your mind and body active and healthy.
Avoid Procrastination – When you are feeling stressed, putting off assignments and projects is tempting, but ultimately this will lead to sleep deprivation, frustration and end in more stress.
Get Better at Time Management – This is a key factor in making sure you stay on track with deadlines, avoid procrastination and end up with a more positive relationship with your studies.
Work-Life Balance – Work-life balance is just as important for students as it is for workers. Set up your schedule for equal parts school and fun or social activities. And don’t forget to make time for just YOU.

Thank You Sunny. “If our hopes of building a better and safer world are to become more than wishful thinking, we will need the engagement of volunteers more than ever.” — Kofi Annan John Frick

2

Sunny’s Answer

Hi Melody,

I think it is normal to feel that way during this pandemic. I also feel it is getting hard to take good care of myself but I consciously keep trying something new to get some inspiration for doing my work. Here are somethings that I do:

-Walking around the apartment (5 laps, this takes about 40 minutes, I have been doing this everyday) - This helps me relieve some stress and feel better for the day. Staying inside all day makes me feel sluggish and tired. It is always nice to get some fresh air.

-Water painting (during the weekend) - Instead of watching shows / phone, I started water-painting and it's been fun and given me some confidence that I can create artwork.

-Actively engaging in conversations - During a meeting or conversation with peers, I try to actively listen and focus on what they are saying. In this way, I could have more questions and have productive meetings with the team.

I hope this helps!

0

Yasemin’s Answer

Hi Melody! With college and work and especially with extra trying times now, it can be difficult to spare time for oneself however there are always simple ways to take a break and relax yourself. I love to meditate, read, listen to music, do yoga and puzzles; these activities are simple, free, and a way to release some stress. As someone who worked three jobs in college it can definitely be stressful to save time for yourself and loved ones, I think it's important to carry a planner and also space out work. I would always plan my assignments and when my exams were coming up, and even though I still did have many things to balance, it did help in becoming more organized. I would try to set aside time for yourself each day, even if it's for a little bit. For friends, I would recommend calling up a friend or Skype/Zoom/FaceTime every now and then, it can be hard to meet up but with technology we can find ways to stay in touch and I think it definitely takes away stress and makes us happier!

As a last note, I don't think guilt should be felt for setting time to yourself and your needs because all human beings need time for themselves. A happy and health you will help in making everything easier!

I wish you the best!

0

Anna’s Answer

I totally understand how you’re feeling. It is hard to take a step back and take some time for yourself. I’ve found that every time I do take a moment I feel much more balanced, rejuvenated, and even more productive because I have a clearer mindset. Whether it’s an hour a week, just 5-10 minutes a day, or whatever time you can take, it’s important to always remember to take care of yourself.

Some of my favorite self-care practices are:
-mediating (headspace or calm is a great free app for this)
-doing yoga
-going on a walk & listening to your favorite playlist or podcast
-having an at home spa night
-cooking or baking a meal
-doodling
-reading

Good luck with everything. You got this!

0