I am interested in music. Besides being a musician or teacher, what other musical jobs could I look for?

Asked Austin, Texas

I enjoy music and would love to find a career related to music. #music #musician #radio #audio

Elizabeth’s Answer

Updated Baltimore, Maryland

Hi! Teaching, music therapy, business manager, agent, producer, recording engineer, entertainment lawyer, publishing, A&R...these are just a few. Do you want to make music or help others make music? Are you a performer or behind the scenes person? Knowing the answer to these questions will help you discover which area of music to pursue. Sometimes, you have to try them out to figure out which one you really like. Sometimes, we think we want a certain career, but then when we actually work it, we may discover that we really want to pursue another area.

All the best!

Daniel’s Answer

Updated Long Beach, California
The music business is a huge industry. I work for a musical instrument manufacturer and there are lots of jobs in marketing, sales, inventory, shipping and A & R. Check out some of your favorite musical instruments manufactures "career" pages and you will get a basic idea of what these kind of companies are looking for. If you are going to college to study music think about getting a minor in business. This will help you understand basic accounting, marketing and sales required to work at a company like this. Hope this was helpful!

Stephen’s Answer

Updated Portland, Oregon
I just learned about a company in Portland that matches music to video or pictures for ad campaigns etc. They have a group of people who produce music and head out into the world looking for great music. (https://www.marmosetmusic.com/)

Thomas’s Answer

Updated Grapevine, Texas

Hi Michael, This is a loaded question and, since I don't know where you are in your studies, I will recommend this site for information. If you don't see something that interests you please reply to my answer. The site is: Careers in Music Business - https://www.careersinmusic.com/music-business-careers/

Thank you very much
You're welcome.

Ahlam’s Answer

Myself personally, took a different career path other than music but since I’ve been playing music since I was 10, I had to find some sort of musical outlet after I graduated high school (and get paid for it). So after high school I auditioned for the Reserve Army Band and got accepted. The commitment is one weekend a month and two weeks in the summer. I got to travel and play music around the U.S. and also got paid for every weekend, gig, and training event. Not to mention the school tuition benefits, medical benefits, VA loan (for your house), and much much more! Hopefully this helps at least give you another option you did’t know about. Best of luck!

Adolph A’s Answer

You could learn how to produce, song write, become a critic and review artists, songs, albums, and concerts.