How would you go about starting an art portfolio?

I'm interested in applying to an art school but my school doesn't provide me with a drawing class or any of that type of art class and I don't know what kiinds of things would go into my portfolio. I know it's a collection of your work but I don't know any more than that. #art #school #projects #college-readiness #portfolios

Tina’s Answer

I asked a young friend of my son who is currently attending art school for recommendations. He actually gave me a link to an article by a Director of Recruitment for UCLA.

http://artschools.com/resources/preparing-your-portfolio-for-college-admissions/

Being you don't have art classes available in your school, the advice given to reach out in advanced to some of the schools you are interested in seems very wise. This will give you a chance to see what they may specifically want to have you include and also give advice on how to handle the absence of school-related work. You may also want to look into available classes at a local community college or evening classes in the area or a arts center. Sometimes these classes can be free or relatively inexpensive and may give you the opportunity for class-driven projects to include in your portfolio.

Hope this helps

Thank you for the link! I will definitely start looking into some classes I could take. Thanks again!