How do you ask your superiors for a day off to attend an event relating to your field?

Asked Edgewater, Colorado

I'm beginning as an intern in the tech industry soon, and TechInclusion is having a 2-day conference in NYC in about a week from today. Is it appropriate to ask my boss for a day off so I could attend the conference? If it is, how should I approach requesting such absences and would I expected to extend the invitation to others in the office? #management #tech #industry-related-events #leaves-of-absence

Julien’s Answer

Updated California, California

Hi there!

The angle I would use is showing the value of the event for you/the company: is there one session that will allow you to have a bigger impact in your current job? Will you be able to meet people that will allow the business to grow? Try to be concrete and not too generic.

Also make sure your request is properly formatted: add the dates, a quick description of the event, maybe the speakers you're the most interested in and if you need money the budget required to travel and then add the little paragraph with the potential value.

Also, some cool readings that will give you even more info than my little paragraph: 1. How to Convince Your Boss to Send You to a Conference 2. How to Get Your Boss to Send You to a Cool Conference

Good luck and keep us posted!

Wow, thanks a lot! I will definitely consider those questions in more depth, but even while scratching their surface, it seems that attending this event will deepen my interest for technology and perhaps even keep the company up to date with current developments and recent releases in technology. Moreover, those are great reads. I'm confident I can now request to attend the events in a very resourceful and persuasive manner.
Glad it was helpful! I'd say go even deeper because here your manager could push back and tell you that you can just stay updated while reading the news. Find something unique (a speaker, networking event, a panel) that will make your case even stronger ;)

Christophe’s Answer

Updated Montpellier, Occitanie, France

Hi there

My suggestion will be , try to elaborate what You are looking to achieve attending this event and what could be the takeaways that could help You in your job , and to help You to increase skills , knowledge that could bring value added to your depratement , company

Doing so will make it easier to ask for a day off and to get a positive answer ...

Also propose to make a debrief to the whole team you are working on to share information , best practices and so on

To conclude , be prepared before asking and show a plan that will follow your participation

Did it in the past and it works !

Cheers

Chris

I'm happy to be hearing advice from someone who has had past experiences! Thanks, Christophe. :)

Donald’s Answer

Updated Paoli, Pennsylvania

I would just add that you might think of specific ways to share the knowledge you receive at the even so that it becomes available to the rest of the staff. Adding this to a request may make it more compelling.

Good Luck Don

Yep, it seems the ideal approach is to prepare to showcase the benefits of attending the event to myself and the entire office. Thank you, Don!

Tori’s Answer

Updated California, California

Many tech conferences provide draft emails to your boss:

http://www.emcworld.com/boss.htm

Also, every time you go, make sure you write up a trip report that covers what you learned, who you met, and why it was good you were there.