After I submitted my intern application, about how many days I will hear back from the employer?

I just submitted an intern application; I always want to check the status of the application. #human-resources #manager #employer #recruiter

Deby’s Answer

Hi Carmen, This is a tough one to answer because there really is no answer besides "it depends". Each company handles their recruiting differently. Sadly, if you do not meet what the company is looking for or are otherwise not selected, you may not hear from them at all. If you have a contact at the company where you applied, you may want to send a follow-up email a couple weeks after submission to let them know of your interest, how you are a good fit for the internship and your availability.

I know this is a tough question, but anyway, thank you for your answer, Deby!

Molly’s Answer

You're assuming the employer will contact you back. There is no set policy for this, it would depend on the company.

Molly recommends the following next steps:

• Don't ever wait for someone to call you. Show that you're "hungry" for the experience. Give them 3-5 days and call in to see if you can 1) Talk to someone regarding your intern application, 2) Where it is in the process and 3) Is there anything more you could provide for them.

Samantha’s Answer

I would agree with the previous answer. Unfortunately some companies don’t contact the candidate at all if the answer is no. And some will reach out weeks or months later for the next step in the process. If this is for next summer, they might not reach out to February or March, or they might reach out in a few weeks. If you know someone has gone through the process with this company before, it might be good to reach out to them to clarify expectations.