3

Entertainment Industry, If I decide to go into the entertainment industry, What positions are there and if you are in or going to be in that same industry what are your plans?

The Entertainment Industry has always interested me,I want to find what I need to do to be on that path and if so get some advice from people who want to go in that industry or those already in the Entertainment Industry. #college #career #university #entertainment #academic-advising #performing-arts #entertainment-industry

3

1

Natalie’s Answer

Hi Patrick - you're going to need to start as either an intern or mailroom/receptionist or if you want a Production job you need to start as a PA/intern. Depending what part of entertainment you are looking to dive into you're going to need to start reaching out to people you know that can pass your resume along. Majority of agencies/studios are referral only and require someone speaking on your behalf. See who in your network you know that can put your resume in the right hands. Its not an easy path - you're going to need tough skin and a good head on your shoulders. My first suggestion is network as much as possible.
Thank you comment icon Your answer is great Natalie, thanks so much for sharing your expertise! At this moment there are more than 800 unanswered questions so I wanted to encourage you to keep going! So many students will benefit tremendously from hearing from you. Keep up the great work! Jordan Rivera, Admin COACH
1
0

Hope’s Answer

Hi, Patrick. I'm no longer in the entertainment industry, but taking on internship opportunities at local stations will certainly help. Also, if you school has a radio or tv station, sign up to be a part of that too!

0
0

Kendall’s Answer

Hi Patrick,

I'll tell you a little about the television industry, because that's where I've got experience.

Yes, internships are usually the very first step. Once you're done with school, you could look to get an internship with a production company or film or TV studio (running errands, keeping the office stocked, delivering mail, etc.). The next step would be being a Production Assistant. This is the entry-level position. You can either be an "office PA" where you handle scheduling, phones, paperwork, etc. Or you can be a "Set PA" and work on set. Set PAs usually spend a lot of time in golf carts, running errands around the studio lot, bringing lunch to actors, getting paperwork from set TO the office PAs, etc.

Usually, PAs spend a year or two doing that, and then they decide where they want to work: do they want to be a writer? a director? a camera operator? a costumer? a set designer? And they begin narrowing their focus, and working with the specific department they want to be a part of.

Other jobs within the industry: working at the studio/network (this is a good job for people who are interested in business as well as being creative); working at an agency (these are the people that connect talent with available jobs, and this job requires a lot of speed and business acumen and willingness to be a little aggressive to get your client the best opportunities). In all of these examples, the first thing to do is work as an assistant. It really doesn't matter where in the industry you start, as long as you work hard and impress people, and keep moving in the direction of where you ultimately want to be working.

I hope that helps! Good luck!

Kendall

Thank you comment icon Hope LeNoir and Kendall Sand,Thank you both for all this helpful fed back. Patrick
0