Did all of the sport analysts I see broadcasting games on television major in communication and broadcasting or are they doing the job because they are formal athletes?

I am asking this question because I am majoring in Communication Media and because I played college football. #communications #communication #broadcast-media #sports-media #broadcast-television

Thank you Barry, for the information as well as complimenting me on my question. Cailon S.

4

Caleb Reid’s Answer

The play-by-play commentator more often than not wasn't a former college or pro athlete. But their partner, also known as the color commentator, normally has rich knowledge and experience with that particular sport, team or league. One tells the story of what's happening and the other comments on notable stats, plays, analysis throughout the course of the game to enhance the play-by-play commentator's storytelling.

Thanks Caleb. I want to be in the position to do both color commentating and play by play commentating. Cailon S.

Thanks again. Cailon S.

1

Charles’s Answer

yes a lot of times the analysts or "color commentary" people have been athletes in their sport. Not a job requirement. Yes they are recruited for there star power and to give the network they're on legitimacy. However most the time their roles are usually limited. It's the guys in broadcasting with the gift of gab who do much the talking. So playing sports isn't a necessity, but doesn't hurt you at all in being able relate that knowledge to to people. Plus being on the inside you might have a better understanding on how these teams work. Which may give you an advantage in getting stories.

Thank you for the insightful information, Charles. Cailon S.

Thank you. Cailon S.

1

Barry’s Answer

Hi, Cailon! You ask good questions. The answer varies by sport and by network. In the United States, you often find local broadcasters of American baseball who never played the game. In many baseball radio booths, there won't be even one former Major League Baseball player - just people with broadcasting majors. On TV, though, star power is much more important than it is on radio. So former athletes are often analysts on TV. More often than not, though, the play-by-play announcer is not an ex-athlete (although some play-by-play analysts are ex-jocks themselves), but the analysts are.

0

Amanda’s Answer

You'll find a lot of sports analysts actually did not major in communications... they are doing broadcast work because they enjoyed the media while they were playing and it's a good way to stay connected to the game. Some might have broadcast as a background (Michael Robinson, NFL Network, for example, was a communications major at Penn State), but I think that's the exception rather than the rule.

0