What should you major in if you want to be a T.V Show Host or an on air personality?

18

I am asking this question because I am really interested in going into a career within these fields and I want to prepare myself in college. Thank you for listening! Hope you have a great day. #college #communications #communication #television #broadcast-television #telecommunications

18

Sharla’s Answer

1

There are several avenues to take related to your field of interest. It depends on if you're looking more towards news or something more entertainment based that might require scripting and adlibbing. If on the news side, I would agree with previous response of Broadcast Journalism. Mass Communications/Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Business Administration, Psychology/Human Behavior are some that come to mind. I would also suggest looking at theater department and TV productions that your school has to get some background, network, or find mentors. That way, if you go with something more traditional such as Communications or Marketing, you will also get feedback and hands on experience in your desired field.

Broadcast communications, marketing, journalism can provide some good foundation. You may want to consider joining a debate team to help prepare in addressing challenging topics. Acting classes can help with projection, reciting, interacting with other players. Toastmasters https://www.toastmasters.org/ is another resource to practice public speaking and gain confidence. Linda I
1

0

Broadcast, communication and Marketing

0

Katina’s Answer

0

Communications, English or History

0

Jeremy’s Answer

0

Broadcast Journalism and Political Science

Here's an article that should help provide a bit of guidance for you. http://collegemouse.com/jobs/how-to-become-a-radio-show-host.html Boris Brown
I would recommend acting and improv classes. Both will help you think on your feet and get an idea of what it's like to be on a stage/set. Also, choose a focus... Are you interested in fashion, celebrity, world news, sports, etc? Make sure you learn about/stay current on all of the goings-on in whatever subject is your passion - and research the bigger moments in history for said passion. Lastly, I would suggest doing a little research on already-successful individuals in the field you are looking to pursue. If you want a career like Ryan Seacrest (or whomever)... learn about what they did to get where they are. Good luck! Deana "Babe" Bracken
0

Sophie’s Answer

0
Journalism, communications, potentially minoring in acting or cinematography.
0

Bethany’s Answer

0

I'd recommend doing a Communications major. Be sure to pad your resume with a lot of real-world experience, though. Start off early doing cameras or basic work for a news outlet or TV station. This industry is highly competitive and those who have experience even at a high school and college level are often the individuals who get the best opportunities right away.

0

Cecilia’s Answer

0

I would recommend Communications, Journalism, English or Business

0

Sam’s Answer

0

As many have answered: Broadcasting, Broadcasting Journalism, Journalism, Communications, Writing, Language, etc... another thing that would not hurt is perhaps an internship or job (PT).  Gaining hands on experience and working closely with experts or others in the field.

0

H. Griselle’s Answer

0

I would recommend a communications and business degree this will help you to know both sides of the business. In addition to the degree I would invest in voice and acting classes.

0

Laquesha’s Answer

0

Great question! In my opinion, I would look at the school I want to attend first. A lot of schools will have different program options. Once you know the school you want to attend, speak with an academic counselor. I'm confident it will be along the lines of communication or journalism. Good luck in your future endeavors!!

0

Lakara’s Answer

0

Hello, I would say public communications.

0

Janet’s Answer

0

Hello, I would recommend majoring in business, marketing, and or communications.

0

Stephanie’s Answer

0

I would say the following are good choices:

Communications/Media
English
Any major that is primarily a 'writing' major

Also, end it with a three (3) year J.D. (Law Degree)

0

Kin-Fung’s Answer

0

I would suggest that you look into performing arts.

0

Kelly’s Answer

0

Marketing.

0

Javier’s Answer

0

A great field to go toward. You should definitely major in communications or broadcast journalism.

0

Ruben’s Answer

0
Hi Bitota,
I think in order to be a successful TV host or on Air Personality you'll need to be able to read and speak in front of people quite a lot. So, I would say major in Public Relations/ Public Communications and put yourself out there. Make sure people know who you are, make yourself known. While in school, get an internship at a radio station, TV station or small production studio to begin your networking. Once you have a bit of experience and a bit of money, get yourself an agent and start auditioning. Your agent should be able to assist you in developing your portfolio and sample audition tapes to distribute to different agencies. If you work hard, meet the right people and be in the right place at the right time, you will get your much needed lucky break. Good Luck
0

Felicia’s Answer

0

You could try broadcasting, journalism, communications or something in the liberal arts.

Felicia recommends the following next steps:

• Look for colleges or Universities that have majors in these fields.
  • Ask someone in this field if you can shadow them
0