What should you major in if you want to be a T.V Show Host or an on air personality?

Asked San Francisco, California

I am asking this question because I am really interested in going into a career within these fields and I want to prepare myself in college. Thank you for listening! Hope you have a great day. #college #communications #communication #television #broadcast-television #telecommunications

Cecilia’s Answer

Updated Washington, Washington

I would recommend Communications, Journalism, English or Business

Jeremy’s Answer

Updated Livermore, California

Broadcast Journalism and Political Science

Here's an article that should help provide a bit of guidance for you. http://collegemouse.com/jobs/how-to-become-a-radio-show-host.html
I would recommend acting and improv classes. Both will help you think on your feet and get an idea of what it's like to be on a stage/set. Also, choose a focus... Are you interested in fashion, celebrity, world news, sports, etc? Make sure you learn about/stay current on all of the goings-on in whatever subject is your passion - and research the bigger moments in history for said passion. Lastly, I would suggest doing a little research on already-successful individuals in the field you are looking to pursue. If you want a career like Ryan Seacrest (or whomever)... learn about what they did to get where they are. Good luck!

Sharla’s Answer

Updated Huntsville, Alabama

There are several avenues to take related to your field of interest. It depends on if you're looking more towards news or something more entertainment based that might require scripting and adlibbing. If on the news side, I would agree with previous response of Broadcast Journalism. Mass Communications/Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Business Administration, Psychology/Human Behavior are some that come to mind. I would also suggest looking at theater department and TV productions that your school has to get some background, network, or find mentors. That way, if you go with something more traditional such as Communications or Marketing, you will also get feedback and hands on experience in your desired field.

Broadcast, communication and Marketing

Lakara’s Answer

Updated Montclair, New Jersey

Hello, I would say public communications.

Katina’s Answer

Updated Montclair, New Jersey

Communications, English or History

Kelly’s Answer

Updated Bowie, Maryland

Marketing.

Kin-Fung’s Answer

Updated Montclair, New Jersey

I would suggest that you look into performing arts.

Janet’s Answer

Hello, I would recommend majoring in business, marketing, and or communications.

Felicia’s Answer

Updated Stone Mountain, Georgia

You could try broadcasting, journalism, communications or something in the liberal arts.

Felicia recommends the following next steps:

• Look for colleges or Universities that have majors in these fields.
  • Ask someone in this field if you can shadow them

Laquesha’s Answer

Updated Rolling Meadows, Illinois

Great question! In my opinion, I would look at the school I want to attend first. A lot of schools will have different program options. Once you know the school you want to attend, speak with an academic counselor. I'm confident it will be along the lines of communication or journalism. Good luck in your future endeavors!!

Bethany’s Answer

Updated Woodbridge Township, New Jersey

I'd recommend doing a Communications major. Be sure to pad your resume with a lot of real-world experience, though. Start off early doing cameras or basic work for a news outlet or TV station. This industry is highly competitive and those who have experience even at a high school and college level are often the individuals who get the best opportunities right away.

Javier’s Answer

Updated Lubbock, Texas

A great field to go toward. You should definitely major in communications or broadcast journalism.

Stephanie’s Answer

Updated Montclair, New Jersey

I would say the following are good choices:

Communications/Media English Any major that is primarily a 'writing' major

Also, end it with a three (3) year J.D. (Law Degree)

Sophie’s Answer

Updated San Francisco, California
Journalism, communications, potentially minoring in acting or cinematography.

H. Griselle’s Answer

Updated Morrisville, North Carolina

I would recommend a communications and business degree this will help you to know both sides of the business. In addition to the degree I would invest in voice and acting classes.

Sam’s Answer

Updated Mesa, Arizona

As many have answered: Broadcasting, Broadcasting Journalism, Journalism, Communications, Writing, Language, etc... another thing that would not hurt is perhaps an internship or job (PT).  Gaining hands on experience and working closely with experts or others in the field.