What abilities or personal qualities do you believe contribute most to success in this field/job?

generally what would be the best qualities that regardless all employers look for
#computer-software #management #programming #project-management

16

Peter’s Answer

Be willing to learn all the time, even when it's outside your comfort/interest zone
Be open for change, the industry is constantly changing

I started off 33 years ago as a warehouse clerk (while I had a programming degree), but the company I wanted to join (Wang Belgium) had openings for warehouse clerk and not for programmers. By doing the job I was the best possession guy to provide inside info on how we could do things different (and eventually better). My manager allowed me to advise him on certain changes. After 2 years we reorganized the way the warehouse worked from order entering to order picking and distribution, so that we could reduce the amount of people working on the job & the time needed to move parts around.
After this I got the opportunity to work as a Order intake admin for Wang EMEA (mostly African & Middle East) countries. In those days orders from these continents still came via Telex later Fax and needed to be inputted in a USA database. Here as well I started several projects in automating the order in keying & order follow-up.

Later in my career I got the opportunity to work in the Marketing division of Wang EMEA to promote Desktops, Networks & Printing (mostly to English Speaking African Countries & The Middle East). I created an onsite training package which I have given in several African & Middle East countries for about 2 years.
Due to the crisis in IT at those days, almost 1/3 of all Wang Personnel was made redundant. During this period I refocused myself in order to be able to do a job outside of IT.

In the purchasing division of Wang Europe, they were looking for a Buyer of Computer Supplies (toner, diskettes, ribbons, tapes,…), by taking this opportunity I learned, setting up Pan-European agreements with suppliers, negotiation skills, understanding better how a business on his own works.
When even more people got redundant at Wang, I was able to move into the Wang Belgium organization, where I was first Logistics responsible, later Logistics Manager. Due to more and more people leaving the organization, more and more functions got combined. So after 4 years I was Logistics Manager + Purchasing Manager + Asset Controller + Project Manager
After more than 12 years of Wang I decided I needed to have a other career swap. I solicited for a position as Account Manager at Dell.

During the first 2 years I was an account manager for Dell Computers – Belgium, but in the meantime, due to my programming skills, I was able to automated part of the logistic follow for Partners of Dell.
In the past 16 years I was able to be a Technical Sales Representative & a now a Bid Manager

As you can see “We are living in an ever changing world” and “It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is most adapted to change”

2

Christophe’s Answer

Hi there

Openminded people , listen to other

committed

responsible

autonomous

always want to learn , to develop himself

Team player

bring new ideas

drive to result , organized

Hope this will help

Hi Christophe. We’d like for you to elaborate upon your advice about successful character traits. Why have you selected the traits that you listed above, and do you have any personal experiences that may corroborate your choices? We think students would really benefit from hearing some of your own personal perspective. Feel free to edit your post accordingly! On behalf of the young people benefiting from your answer and the entire CareerVillage community thank you for answering this student’s question! -David David Ohta COACH

1

Johann’s Answer

Adaptability, dynamic and willing to learn from others. Communication skills as said above it also a critical.

Johann. We’d like for you to elaborate upon your advice about successful character traits. In what situations do you feel adaptability and a willingness to learn from others proves to be especially valuable in workplace environments? Do you maybe have any personal stories or anecdotes to tell? Feel free to edit your post accordingly! On behalf of the young people benefiting from your answer and the entire CareerVillage community, thank you for answering this student’s question!-David Ohta David Ohta COACH

1

Jeff’s Answer

Hi Abbas!

Great question!

Lots of great suggestions above. I would emphasize communication skills. If you can craft a complete, syntactically correct sentence, you have a huge advantage over many of your peers. Communicate clearly and effectively.

In my opinion, the best way to get ahead is to be a team player. Always try to help others. Show them you are willing to go above and beyond. Be the go-to person. Share the credit. I rarely say I did... I usually say We did or the team did. Other important skills include listening and understanding.

0

Dawn’s Answer

"Being able to think out of the box." One way of communicating doesn't always work for everyone. As a Program manager when the project/program stalls, you have to be persistent but patience while using all your tools of knowledge to figure out how to get it back on track.

0

kolluri’s Answer

I would say patience plays major role in everything. Whatever you learn, just try to understand it fully.
Keep evaluating yourself , which will help in driving your thoughts towards the growth.
Happy Learning!!

0

Davor’s Answer

Listening and continuous learning, curiosity and taking risks. If you are just conforming and not bringing it new ideas, you will be just a number.

0

Wilfred’s Answer

Just brainstorming a few qualities (in addition to the ones already mentioned);
Master Microsoft Office skills. You'll be surprised how few people thoroughly know how to put together great letters in Word, advanced spreadsheets, PowerPoint presentations. Typing skills are also critical. Whenever I see an educated person struggle through work with the mentioned tools I cringe.
Learn how to lead a meeting. Be prepared, keep notes, make sure it is worth everybody's time, make your objectives clear, don't allow to get off topic.
Have good working relations. Be respectful, open, trusting, have fun!
Make your boss successful and he/she will make you successful.

0

Meena’s Answer

Communication, interpersonal skills and team ability. Always delivering what is expected and then some.

0

Sherry’s Answer

Regardless of the field you enter, you need to do the basics well: show up on time, communicate clearly and succinctly (both in writing and when speaking), meet your commitments, and be a team player. You'll get brownie points for going the extra mile on a project - not just doing the minimum - and for coming up with solutions to problems without being specifically asked to do so.

0

Kristen’s Answer

Good communication skills, both verbal and written
Ability to adapt to changes
To be a self starter
To be a good team player, to collaborate with teams to fulfill the task at hand
Organized
Always willing to go that extra mile

0

Susie’s Answer

Good communications skills. Both written and verbal. You can be the smartest person in the world but if you can't explain what is going on or what needs to be done, it's going to be a problem.

0

Shaiju’s Answer

Hi Abbas!

Few must have qualities are learning capabilities, openness to change, good team player, very good communication skills (presentation/listening/writing skills).

With the COVID pandemic, tech industry is undergoing rapid change - including the way they work and it is important to focus on improving your skills in:
1) Flexible working
2) Working with virtual team
3) Remote management
4) Self-motivated/Self-awareness
5) Learning agility keeping a growth mindset
6) Ask for the right question at the right time
7) Time management and discipline
8) Use of technology to collaborate virtually (use of multiple collaboration platforms)
9) Social intelligence
10) Find your pace and prioritize

0

Tobias’s Answer

Be able to listen to a problem and come up with a solution is relevant for any field, but especially in software or management. As a software engineer, this is part of my daily work. As a manager/leader, I'm looking for someone who can listen, empathize, and help find a path forward.

Having a mindset that's open to learning new technical things as trends change is extremely important. On top of learning new technical things, being open to input from others, regardless of the source, is so valuable at any level. Good ideas can come from anywhere, so be open to an idea, even if it challenges the current state of things.

0

Aime’s Answer

Being a well communicator it is key. I believe this is a skill you can work on and improve throughout your career but I've learned two important rules that have served me well: 1) know your audience, you need to adjust your message depending on who you are talking to. Those executive level stakeholders in your project probably don't need to hear all the small details. Keep your message succinct and to the point vs. those you work day to day, that need to understand all the ins and outs. 2) be honest. There are times as a PM you will have to deliver bad news. As long as you're honest and have a plan to move forward, you are good.

0