When looking into careers in Engineering, how should I determine what exact kind of engineering I want to study? Such as civil, chemical, and/or mechanical?

I am very intrigued with achieving a major in engineering, but I am not sure in what exact expertise I am interested in and would like to hear multiple perspectives on this matter. #mechanical-engineering #civil-engineering #electrical-engineering #industrial-engineering #women #engine

3

Allen’s Answer

I think the choice of engineering specialization comes down to what interests you the most and how you want to leverage that for innovation. Chemical engineering calls for a lot of chemistry and bio chemistry and having a foundation in that to work at a Merck, Procter and Gamble or Johnson and Johnson for starters. Mechanical engineering deals with things in motion like vehicles or robotics and civil can range from structures, urban planning, traffic design to environmental. I would say that the one good thing as you explore is that the fundamental classes are very similar before you advance in your program and specialize. It's my experience that electrical will have a little more math and civil and mechanical might have an extra physics course and chemical engineering will dive deeper into more chemistry courses.

0

DAVID’s Answer

1. if you have the smarts go for chemical engineer, if not then civil or mechanical

2. civil has a much wider range of employment in consulting firms

0

Shehroz’s Answer

What I did when I was in high school was seek out internship opportunities. I thought I wanted to study civil engineering, I printed a list of civil engineering firms near my house and cold called. I told them I was willing to work for free; file papers help out around the office, I ended up finding one firm that took me on for 4 months. The work I did was surprising cool! They let me do some CAD work and basic engineering calculations; besides what I did I got an opportunity to see what others were doing this gave me a fell for what it would be like If I decided to study civil engineering. From that experience I found out I enjoyed the hands on aspect of engineering more and decided to study mechanical engineering (based on how much I enjoyed getting tours of local fabrication shops). Another reason why I selected mechanical engineering was the flexibility the degree provides you can work in any industry. If I was to go back and study I would recommend mechanical engineering or even mechatronics engineering again due to the flexible nature of the degree. End of the day select an field that you are interested in and to find that out get out in the real world shadow people at their work cold call it will pay off.

0