What are the most enjoyable things of being an engineer?

I am very interested in the engineering field, after my older sister began to start leaning towards majoring in it. As a freshman, I don't have to choose just yet, which is why I wanted to keep my options open. STEM seems like a very interesting and rewarding topic to work in. My best friend is in a program in which they program and invent new products, such as robotics and systems. He thinks it is extremely difficult, but fun. I wondered what a professional thought about it. #engineering #mechanical-engineering #computer-engineering #software-engineering

5

Raya’s Answer

Hi Lauren

To me the most enjoyable part of being an engineer is solving problems. There is great joy in figuring out how to do something well or why something does not work. But I see a couple people already talked about this quite a bit, so I will focus on another aspect: how much you need to deal with people. There are jobs where all you do is interact with other humans and if you find this tiring, engineering is a great alternative. Computers and machines don't (usually) have bad days so it can be much easier emotionally.

Hope this helps
Raya

0

Diego’s Answer

The creative aspect, I agree, is the best part. Every day you'll wrap your head against new problems to solve. If you love puzzles and science, engineering combines them in a very exciting way.

Also, most tech companies will expect from you results, not hours at the desk. You'll be able to have flexible hours and maintain a great work-life balance.

0

Simon’s Answer

Creating a solution to a problem. I have fixed hundreds of things from new offices to new chemical processes, logistics, safety, reprogramming, and setting up standards.... the list is endless. I really took pride in visiting the site I did work in and the staff thanking me for the project. After I became a manager I enjoyed helping my staff, giving them the support they needed, and seeing their results. It's a great occupation. I designed to the following rules....the solution should be....Simple, effective, robust.

Good luck, reach far, and be a good team player.

0

Greg’s Answer

If you enjoy solving problems of any type imaginable, you will probably like engineering. Sure, you learn a lot of math, physics, statics, dynamics, circuits, etc but I think the real skill is solving the problem and learning how to solve problems. As a manager of engineers, sales, marketing, and other functions I have applied basic problem solving skills all along the way. I use the analogy of solving a puzzle often.

0

Suresh’s Answer

The best thing about being an engineer is that you're being paid to think. There are so many jobs and even "careers" that simply have you going through motions. Personally, I've been building a skill set since day one and it gets utilized more and more every day. When you have a unique blend of skills and knowledge, you become the "go-to" guy or subject matter expert within a company. It's very gratifying to feel that what you know is valued and used in directing things like product development.

0