How can I become involved in the field of behavioral neuroscience as a high school student?

As a high school student, I have heard that colleges are looking to see that you are taking interest in a field of study.
neuroscience science volunteer highschool college

2

Alejandra’s Answer

This is a great question! Here are a few ideas that I'd look into!

- Reach out to universities: If you go online, you'll be able to look up neuroscience departments and colleges and universities near you, and you can directly email either a professor or the info email. If you let them know you're interested in learning more about behavioral neuroscience and ask if there are ways to get involved, they'll be more than happy to send you programs or recommend the next steps

- Look up neuroscience summer programs: There may be classes, camps, or even short online courses you can take related to neuroscience. Having some of these on your resume or even being able to speak to it in your application would be awesome

-Neuroscience research: Search online for high school programs that allow you to do neuroscience research at a university. Oftentimes these programs are subsidies by the school because it not only gives you a dip into neuroscience but allows the school to get extra help doing research

Alejandra recommends the following next steps:

Look up schools in your area with neuroscience programs and reach out over email about how to get involved
Research neuroscience summer programs/classes/camps
Look for high school programs that allows you to do a neuroscience research internship
0

Shifa’s Answer

I love that you have begun to explore the field you are interested in!

Honestly, you have quite a few options. (1) I would reach out to behavioral specialists in your area to schedule shadowing. This is really beneficial as you will be connecting with someone who took a similar to the one you want to pursue. (2) If you want to participate in active-learning, I would suggest looking at neuro-rehab centers to see if they have availability for you to come in as a volunteer or, possibly, a job. I, personally, have worked at a neuro-rehab center for acute and traumatic brain injuries and it was a great experience in terms of being involved with the care of the patients.

I think you have already done great by identifying your interests and showing a willingness to getting started in the field. I wish you all the best!
0