Skip to main content
4 answers
Asked Viewed 173 times Translate

What college classes/degrees do I need to be/earn in order to become a Youth Therapist?

I’m in 11th grade and want to start planning ahead for college. student college psychology academic-advising

+25 Karma if successful
From: You
To: Friend
Subject: Career question for you


4 answers

Updated Translate

Shahul Hameed’s Answer

To become a children's counselor you will need to go through a rather rigorous amount of schooling. This includes obtaining a Bachelor's Degree, then a Master's Degree, and finally entering into a Doctorate or PhD program.
Updated Translate

Ebony’s Answer, Team

Hi Skyleen,

I am currently working on my Masters in Psychology with a focus in clinical counseling. My bachelor's degree was not related at all. (It's in Communication: Public Relations.)

Once I graduate I can start the process to obtain my license. However, that is governed by the state. Below is a link for New York to provide you a picture of what the process looks like. It can look a bit overwhelming but to be honest, as I take it day by day, it's manageable. So you can do it.

As I begin to see clients I have the ability to work with high school students, families, couples, individuals, etc. After I have some experience under my belt I can then decide which environment and group I enjoy best. I tell you this because you'll have the same opportunity. You can meet with several groups and then decide which works best for you.

Your bachelor's degree can be aligned directly to psychology or it can be unrelated. All of it is information to build upon. For example, You could obtain a BA in Sociology and still get your MA in Psychology, Counseling, Marriage and Family Therapy, College Counseling, etc. The choice is yours. I encourage you to speak with an advisor on campus to help you see which courses are required for the Bachelors you decide upon. You can keep the plan of obtaining your MA in your "back pocket" and take the BA one step at a time with the understanding that all the information it provides will be the foundation of the knowledge you enter into your Masters with.

Quick heads up: your MA will likely have prerequisites. (Courses you have to take before you can start the serious courses). If you know which campus you want to complete your MA on, take a peek at the MA pre-reqs and decide if you want to take them at the same time as completing your BA.

You got this... one step at a time!
Updated Translate

LaTonya’s Answer

Haider, also check out the following program and search for similar:

Think about the problem you desire to address to assist youth.

I hope this helps you!
Updated Translate

Lalita’s Answer

You would need a Master's and Bachelor's after high school. It is a long path to become a therapist. Brainstorming some ideas on a piece of paper can help. For example, the following questions may help you.

The next question is your area of interest, and what kind of therapist you would like to become.
What is your goal for future? Well, what can help you decide is your purpose in life.

Try and write your broad goal and then the specific.
What do you want to accomplish in the next five years? After you finish high school, you will need some college education.
I have a Master's in counseling, a coach/consultant in Nutrition Counseling, and a Bachelor's in Education. It took me a long time to get to where I wanted.
While you are pursuing Bachelors, you can find some small jobs related to your career path. Hope this helps.