Albert P.

1771

24

How do you balance your schoolwork and your social life?

I've been in college for one year, and I'm currently in my second year. College has been much harder on me than I expected it to be, and I often find myself spending the majority of my time studying for my classes. I want to go out and have fun, but I see my friends and classmates studying and working on personal projects, and it makes me feel like I should do the same to be able to get ahead. I want to get experience and go above and beyond, but I also miss going out and hanging out with my friends outside of school. What can I do? #college #university #college-bound #social #work-life-balance

One suggestion I have is to maybe allot one hour in the morning when you aren't missing anything. Most college students are sleeping during this time, or at an early class. If you devote one hour a day that's 5 hours a week to either get ahead, or to get your work done.
Last updated Oct 10 '17 at 10:55

Hi Albert!

The answer deals with balance. Here are some tips that might help. https://www.unigo.com/in-college/college-experience/creating-a-workschool-balance-a-college-student-perspective http://www.mycollegesuccessstory.com/academic-success-tools/college-life-balance.html

However, it does not sound like you are enjoying your college experience as much as you should. I am concerned that you might not be in the correct career area, because you do not seem to be energized by what you are studying, and that concerns me. Perhaps you could talk to your academic adviser to see if you could be evaluated as to the fit of your current major. You are preparing for a career and a job in which you will spend much of your life, and you should be preparing for something that you will look forward to doing everyday. Work is to be enjoyed and to be something in your life that gives you a sense of fulfillment and accomplishment.

Here are some exercises that may help you to learn more about yourself: https://www.themuse.com/advice/14-free-personality-tests-thatll-help-you-figure-yourself-out

Best of luck! Please keep me informed. I would like to follow your progress.

Last updated Dec 09 '16 at 16:07

2 comments

Albert, I think college balance depends on the individual. It's great that you are aware of you how much time you personally need to put into your classes. Perhaps as you get further along in your classes you will become better at balancing everything. Many people in college let their grades fall because they want to go out with friends every night, but that can hurt them in the long run. Keep your head up! Maybe you could start a study group with your friends so that you could still hang out but get work done at the same time?

Last updated May 10 '17 at 17:12

Schools Add a schools