What is the best path to become a counselor if I am obtaining my Bachelor of Social Science?

I am currently in school to obtain my Bachelor of Social Science. I am wondering if it is possible to become a Licensed Professional Counselor with a degree that isn't in Psychology or Sociology or should I consider changing my degree? #psychology #career-counseling #career-path #counseling #degrees #social-sciences #social-science

1

Cerice’s Answer

Hi Mounia,

Yes, it's possible to become a Licensed Professional Counselor with a degree that's not in Psychology or Sociology. When I first decided to attend college I loved psychology, but decided I did not want to obtain my degree in psychology. I did my research and decided to go another route. I have my BS in Human Services, MS in Mental Health Counseling with a specialty in Substance Abuse and my Limited Permit Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC).

You will take psychology courses. There is NO getting around it! Depending on the college/university you attend you will have to review their program(s) and course curriculum.

There are several undergraduate degree programs you can consider: Counseling, Mental Health Counseling, Family and Marriage Counseling, Human Services, Social Work and School Counseling.

Thank you for your answer. I have looked into my grad school of choice and the prerequisites for the program. I was just uncertain if my current major fits. Now I have a better understanding! Mounia M.

1