Katia D.’s Avatar

Katia D.

30

Is it better to intern with a professor in a research lab or at a research company?

Asked San Mateo, California

I'm a high schooler who would like to find an internship in the field of biomedical research, but I don't know if I should be inquiring professors or companies in that field. #biology #internships #research #biomedical-engineering #internship #biomedical #biotechnology

San Mateo, CA?

You have tremendous biological and medical academic resources in your part of the world. Do your best to find an academic lab for your internship. In science, it's easier to move from a university or hospital research lab than it is to move the other way.

Last updated Feb 14 '17 at 07:01 AM

It depends. If the student is academic research inclined, he/she should go to a Lab at the university; otherwise, go with the company.

Last updated Apr 08 '17 at 08:14 PM

Either would provide good experience.

Last updated May 02 '17 at 12:44 AM

Both are beneficial. Depending on if you work in industry or academics, can help you decide what route to take.

Last updated Jun 12 '17 at 07:57 PM