I am confused on what career I should major in. How do I figure that out?

9
Pros
9
0

Sanjana’s Answer

It is important to understand what your interests and strengths are. Here are a few tips to consider:

1. It is OKAY to change career paths and majors. I, myself, slightly changed my major and minor in my Sophomore year of college. As we begin to take classes in college, we realize what our interests really are.

2. Think about what you would be happy and satisfied with doing for the next 30 years.

3. If you need ideas for career choices, think about the people in your life who have been positive influences in your life.

4. It can be a process of trial and error for some. If you are really unsure, it is better to start somewhere and slowly dig a path for yourself.
0

Natalie’s Answer

Hi Kendra!

Trying to pick a major when you're really not sure what you want to do is challenging. When I graduated high school I ended up majoring in general studies up until I finally realized I wanted to do graphic design. Think about your interests and hobbies, and how any of those could be a career. I would recommend talking to a career counselor or school guidance counselor if you can. I met with a career counselor at my school while I was in community college and she had me fill out an assessment that determined what types of careers I would most likely be good at. She also talked to me about my interests and how I could possibly turn those things into a career. Don't stress yourself out if you can't make a decision right away, or if you end up changing your original major. It's not unusual, and it's ok to take your time.
0

Elena’s Answer

When you pick your major at an undergraduate university, keep in mind that it does not tie you 100% to a certain career path. I myself studied Civil Engineering at undergraduate university, and my roles in my career have taken me far away from Civil Engineering. I work as a project manager/operations engineer in a manufacturing role working with factories all around the world. There are so many possibilities, but it is most important to start with your interests now.

Elena recommends the following next steps:

What subjects in school most interest you?
Based on your interests, what are the majors offered at your prospective universities that relate?
Potentially find people to interview in college or recent graduate and ask them how their majors relate to what they are doing in their early careers.
Thank you for the advice. Kendra A.
0

Amanda’s Answer

Hi Kendra -

Choosing a major is an exciting but difficult decision. Here are some helpful points to narrow down what major you select:

1. List your interests. Does problem-solving or thinking critically appeal to you? Do you like math and numbers? Do you have a creative side that you want to explore a bit? Do you enjoy journaling, writing, or literature? Do you want to help people, and have an interest in medicine?

2. Talk those around you. Is there a particular subject or class that you took that sparked your interest? Perhaps you can talk to a teacher of that class to understand their background and major. Is there someone you know who works in a particular field that's fascinating to you? Chat about what they did to get there.

3. Connect with college alumni. A part of selecting a major is exploring colleges around you to support that major. Create a LinkedIn account to find alumni of a school you're interested in. Perhaps you can set up a call or message about particular majors.
0

Rebecca’s Answer

Hi Kendra, I would suggest the approach below to help to find out your major / career :
1. You start thinking about the hobbies or subjects that you are interested in
2. Identify the careers that you related to these subjects or hobbies, e.g. If you are interested in Science, would you like to be a scientist, a science teacher, etc.? If you are interested in Music, would you like to be a singer, musician, composer, music teacher, etc.?
3. Explore more on these careers and find out a few careers you are interested in
4. Try to speak to someone who are working in these careers or seeks advise from the career counsellor in your school
5. Shortlist a few careers you would like to pursue and determine the relevant subjects of these careers. Find out the entry criteria of these subjects in these careers.
Having said that, it is often that people may change their interest and hence change the career in the future. It is not necessary to work in one single career in your life time.
Hope this helps! Good Luck!
You rock! This advice is very helpful. Kendra A.
0

Caroline’s Answer

In addition to what they said about look up career decision tool and take a test to see what Careers are suggested based on your goals hobbies and skills! https://brainmanager.io/career-test?gclid=Cj0KCQiA2sqOBhCGARIsAPuPK0h6JIOgglGMh6gu_LpUKVTqbwEis9-OgYVdCyNqjaHqqII2dIDXvy8aAnRmEALw_wcB
0

Amy’s Answer

I gave my children this assignment in middle school. I had them search and pick out what kind of house they wanted to live in when they grew up. Then pick out a car they would like to drive. Do you want to have cable tv? Cell Service? Then add in cost for food and gas. Don't worry about taxes.
When you have this total divide the monthly payments by 4. Then take that amount and divide by 40 hours. Let's say for example it's $40 dollars an hour. Start researching careers that pay at least $40 an hour. You will be surprised what you need to earn in order to live the lifestyle you would like to live.

Now after you have a list, research careers in high demand. See what interest you. You don't want to pick a career that is not going to be hiring in 4 years or is limited in demand. Tech fields, Medical fields, Auto Mechanics, or Air Conditioning mechanics are a few that great choices. Cybersecurity fields are in high demand as well.

Good Luck

Amy
0

Caroline’s Answer

0

Priya’s Answer

Hi Kendra,
Start with your interests or values. Explore them and see what job fields are similar! Or explore jobs on websites like O*Net. Also you can get help from a career counselor to help you do some assessments and narrow options down. Good luck!
0

Caroline’s Answer

0

Madisyn’s Answer

Hi,

Picking a career major is no easy choice. To do so, you should assess your own likes and dislikes. Here are some possible questions to consider: Do you want to work with other people? Do you want to work alone? Do you want to focus on something more technical like a STEM major? Do you want to focus on more creative careers such as a dancer or musician? Essentially, you need to assess what matters most to you and what interests you.

Furthermore, you can do quizzes to help you figure out your personality. For example, I did the Myers-Briggs personality quiz and it provided me with examples of career fields for people with my personality.
0