5

How many math classes will I have to take in college for computer engineering?

#college #engineering #computer

5

1

I would have to agree with Hanley. If you are asking this may not be the field for you. Math is the foundation for logical thinking. It is embedded in all areas of the field and it should be your desire to learn that drives you rather than just a program/degree requirement (again that is just my opinion).
Thank you comment icon Hi David! I think you share an important point here, and it's definitely exactly the case. On the flip side, I also remember I HATED high school math for various reasons (not all have lasted), but have found that I love coding because it's a very different application of logical thinking. Can you share how many math classes are required for most computer engineering programs, and maybe how this student could approach them with a positive attitude? Alexandra Carpenter, Admin
Thank you comment icon Also, glad to see a fellow Philadelphian here :) I graduated from Temple a few years back Alexandra Carpenter, Admin
1
1

Wayne’s Answer

Hi Edwin,

The number of math classes depends on the school and program. However, in most school curriculum, a Computer Engineering student is required to take math classes that include Calculus 1–3, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, Complex Analysis and Discreet Math.

1
0

Hanley’s Answer

Enough that your question suggests you may want to consider whether this is a career you want to pursue. You could shop around for a program that doesn't require a lot of math, but that's not likely to be a good program. Getting a computer science degree from a school with a weak program is a waste of your time and money.

That being said, if all you want to do is write code on a business logic level, maybe just get an associates degree and start working. It'll cost less and you'll start making money sooner.

Expect any decent CS program to involve quite a bit of advanced mathematics. If you're okay with that, go for it. If not, think about what you really want to do and what it might take to get into that career path.
0
0

Rohan’s Answer

Hey! It really depends on your college. Expect your freshman and sophomore year to be full of Calculus courses if you haven't taken any AP classes in high school. Be sure to take Precalc in high school or that maybe the first math course you ever take in college.

For me, I took a Calculus College Prep course in 12th grade. I took Calc 1 and 2 in my freshman year and Calc 3 and Calc 4 in my sophomore year. The math courses ate up half of my college years. Don't be in engineering if you hate math or you are just bad it. Not worth it.

p.s you don't have to love math to major in engineering
0
0

Hi Edwin,

Most ABET accredited universities require the following math courses for a Computer Engineering program:
Calculus I & II for Engineers, Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, Advanced Calculus for Engineering Applications, Discreet Mathematics/Digital Logic Design.
Thank you comment icon Accurate, what he said. Hanley Loller
0