When you are offered an interview by phone or Skype, are you suppose to be the one who calls the job or does the job call you?

Updated Richmond, Virginia

This may seem silly, however, I have never had a scheduled telephone interview. Normally, I would commute to the destination. Does this concept apply to interviews that don't require you to travel or is the job suppose to contact you? #interviews #job-application

Cody’s Answer

Updated San Rafael, California

In my experience, they have called me. That being said, don't be afraid to send an email to your contact at the company and ask for clarification.

Francesca’s Answer

Updated Camden, Delaware

Typically they call you, however, the instructions should be clearly communicated to you when you set up the appointment. If not, double check with them.

Ariana’s Answer

Updated Tampa, Florida

I agree with Cody: typically interviewers will call the interviewee at the scheduled time, but you can definitely clarify if you're unsure. If you're doing a Skype interview, it might be worth it to ask what the alternative method of communication will be in case you're having connection/audio/visual issues (e.g. will the interviewer call you on your mobile phone?).

By mobile phone! Thank you so much

Jeremy’s Answer

Updated San Francisco, California

Adding to the great responses. It is possible (although rare) for the interview to get delayed. If this happens, let your recruiter know and they will take care of the situation. One of my interviewers did not call me at the designated time. I waited about 15 minutes after the scheduled time to call the recruiter. There was a misunderstanding with the scheduling on the companies end, and they rescheduled my interview.

JoAnna’s Answer

Updated Smyrna, Georgia

I agree with the above responses. Typically, the interviewer will initiate the telephone interview. However, it would behoove you to confirm this at the time the interview is scheduled. Additionally, if the telephone interview will be conducted via Skype, Google Hangouts, or the like, I would conduct a trial run with a relative or friend using the relevant communication mode. Last month, I had an interview scheduled via Google Hangouts. Prior to the interview, I had my husband initiate a call to me using Google Hangouts so that I could familiarize myself with the dashboard, ensure that there was an acceptable background behind me, and generally get a feel for the experience. After my test run, I felt a lot more comfortable about my upcoming interview.

A further suggestion would be to make sure that everyone in your environment knows that you will be having an interview via telephone and that you cannot be disturbed during the interview. An otherwise wonderful interview could be needlessly ruined by voices, pets, etc., in the background. Best of luck to you!

Azaelia’s Answer

Updated Woodbridge Township, New Jersey

In my experience, the company would contact you. Do not be afraid to ask the Recruiter questions. Most of us try to provide as much detail as possible so both the candidate and the Hiring Manager are prepared.

Catie’s Answer

Updated Woodbridge Township, New Jersey

Not silly at all! It is important to be as prepared as you can for an interview - and that includes the logistics of who will call who.

I would recommend sending your contact a note to confirm the date and the time of the interview, and to repeat your phone number. I would state that you look forward to speaking with them, and that if they would prefer that you call them please let them know the phone number to call.

Addressing these issues up front will put your mind at ease and will allow you to focus on the actual content of the interview questions and answers rather than the set up.

Meena’s Answer

Updated Woodbridge Township, New Jersey

You should ask for that information beforehand, if they did not communicate it to you already. This will avoid any last minute confusion and stress.