4

if my strengths are braiding and doing nails and my hobbies are drawing and art ,what types of careers or industries might best fit me

I would love to start my own business

4

0

C.’s Answer

Hi Takiya!

The hands-on skills that you mentioned above involve a great amount of precision and creativity. They also are very independent interests (as opposed to working in a group or team setting). Because of this, I would recommend you look into becoming a dentist or dental assistant, especially if you are interested in science and/or art. Dentists work independently, they work with their hands, and they work in small spaces that require manual dexterity and precision -- all of these things you seem to be interested in. There is a lot of creativity that goes on behind-the-scenes in a dental office. For example, placing a filling or waxing-up a dental crown is almost like creating a mini sculpture or piece of artwork that you envision and create on your own. A tooth that has been broken in half can be built up and restored to full-function and cosmetics with your two hands. As someone who enjoys health sciences and the analytics of diagnosis, too, I appreciate that dentistry involves the unique combination of science with art.

One last thing -- If you would like the hands-on creative challenge that is seen in dentistry but aren't as interested in the healthcare/scientific/medical focus of being a healthcare provider, I would suggest you look into becoming a dental laboratory technician. Dental lab technicians work with dentists to create crowns, bridges, dentures, etc. for their patients, and each of these dental retorations require an immense amount of independent, hands-on construction by a detal lab tech that relies on the artistic eye and a strong attention to detail. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have. :)
0
0

Leslie’s Answer

Hi Takiya - with your interests and skills, I'd suggest looking into careers in illustration, animation (for more creativity) or computer drafting (for more technical skills). I was an art major and enjoyed similar activities as you, and have done graphic design and drafting along my career path. There are many opportunities within marketing teams in all industries for great illustrators, and many technical industries like architecture and engineering that need detail-oriented drafters who use software like AutoCAD.
If you want to own your own business, skills like these could make you desirable as a freelance contractor and you could pick your clients and create your own schedule. But I'd recommend working for a company first to build up skills and connections!

Leslie recommends the following next steps:

Download a free trial of Adobe Illustrator and watch YouTube tutorials to learn some basic tips on illustration
Download a free trial of AutoCAD and check out low-cost classes at Udemy or LinkedIn Learning
0
0

Geoffrey’s Answer

Ever consider investigating the world of computer generated art? Check out some tutorials online for things like character design or concept art. You can take your passion for art and drawing, couple it with your manual dexterity (demonstrated by your skill at braiding and nail polishing) and apply it to a potential career in graphic design or game development. Just a thought.
0