5
Updated 278 views

What types of drawing designs are recommended to learn?

Since I am still learning, I would like to focus on what type of drawing style I should learn before deciding on what career I would like to choose.

5

1

Hi Jose! Drawing from life, people, places, and things is always the best thing for your growth as an Artist. Get a sketchpad and begin with your favorite drawing instrument. Your style will develop as you draw, draw, draw and draw some more! You can create still life models on a table with various objects (any and all objects are fair game). This is how you learn to draw what you see. Take your sketchpad out to the streets and draw street scenes, quick sketches of faces and figures, trees, flowers, landscapes.

Keep up this practice, and keep going and you will be amazed at how much you've learned and grown. You'll also learn what attracts and inspires you.
1
0

Joanne’s Answer

Hi Jose I’m not sure there is a right or wrong answer to this. I would definitely say practice drawing what inspires you or what you are good at and see where this takes you! For example, if you knew that you wanted to be an architect, then I’d suggest practicing perspective drawings. If you were interested in textiles, then I might suggest practicing pattern design and maybe these are disciplines you could practice to see if you have a natural talent for them. Think about what you’re currently drawn to, and maybe go from there. Keep a Pinterest of other artists that inspire you and the types of work they produce and use this for inspiration.
0
0

Kolyan’s Answer

Hello Jose. There is no single style of drawing needed to have a career in art. However, I would suggest starting out with a sketch pad and just draw whatever you like. I would also recommend taking a variety of art classes that cover many different types of drawing. This can help to expose you to different styles and perhaps what style fits you.
0
0

Kristina’s Answer

Hi Jose,

there is no style that you should definitely learn. You will develop your own style with time if you dedicate enough time on drawing and you are persistent enough. Besides the classic draw pad and pencil you can further explore digital media like drawing on a tablet and using a program like ProCreate which is extremely popular amongst illustrators. Developing an eye for art is helpful too - look at other good artists' work and modern illustrations (on platforms like Behance for example).

My husband is a 3D designer and a very good digital illustrator - he has no formal education in arts but is naturally good at drawing, he follows trends but relies on his own perception of what is good and what he personally likes. Also I have a very talented colleague that is really skilled in drawing and she says that every time she starts working on a new project she draws in a different style and doesn't have a set style. And don't forget that your style will evolve with time whatever you arrive at the moment.

I hope this was helpful.

Sincerely,
Kristina
0