6

I want to be a Supply Chain Enginer, Corperate exceutive, or a high ranking supply chain offial. I was wondering what degree I should double major with supply chain management?

Does going to a prestigous university make any diffrence aqquring a job in this field? How stressful is a supply chain management major and the jobs? How would I need to network to achieve my goals?

Thank you comment icon Hi Andrew, Jill provided very good links for you to review; and I agree with Shirley that Finance is a good consideration for your double major. It's critical to understand all financial statements as well as understand the financial impacts that daily decisions have on the business longer term. Best of luck in your studies! Kelly Tobey

6

2

Jill’s Answer

Hi Andrew,

Getting a degree in supply chain management is an excellent path to achieving your goals. Here’s a link to an article on the top Universities https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/business-supply-chain-management-logistics

Supply chain touches every step in the product life cycle; from growing, mining or creating a material to delivering it into the hands of the consumer, plus all the activities in between: sales and operations planning, new product development and engineering, risk management, corporate social responsibility, and so much more. Here’s a great link to check out the field: https://www.ascm.org/membership-community/career-resources/supply-chain-management-careers/

From my experience, if you like problem solving then supply chain is great for a career. The executives in Supply Chain of the future need to understand the supply chain from end to end.

In general I’ve found the four main entry points to supply chain tend to be:
Procurement/Purchasing – professionals in this role like to negotiate, work with people and contracts.
Operations – professionals in this role like to be actively ensuring the warehouses, plants, etc. are getting it done!
Planning – professionals in this role love the math, they use machine learning, AI, and more.
Transportation – professionals in this role love the stress of solving how to move things around the world by truck, plane, boat, train and more!

To get started networking, assuming you go to college, I recommend joining the college's Supply Chain Management Student Group/Club!

Jill recommends the following next steps:

check out https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/business-supply-chain-management-logistics
Thank you comment icon Thank you for giving me advice. Andrew
2
1

Darlene’s Answer

Great career path! In addition to finance, I would suggest considering other functions that are not directly tied to traditional supply chain roles such as international business. Many global supply chains have to consider the implications of doing business in various countries (i.e. geopolitical implications, local laws, etc.). Another suggestion is data analytics as it will be important to be able to analyze and slice and dice data in order to make informed decisions.

Best of luck to you!
1
0

Karim’s Answer

Hello Andrew!

As far as double majoring, something with technical expertise provides a really great insight when paired with supply chain management, because the further you can see into the life cycle of a product, the better equipped you will be to foresee any problems that could arise. For example, while I didn't expect to have supply chain roles as a Mechanical Engineer, my background in manufacturing has lead me to find supplier quotes that are way more expensive that were proposed, and have higher responsibilities in Supply Chain in more critical projects.

It doesn't have to be engineering per se, but that kind of technical background knowledge will make you that much more attractive to future employers.

Thank you comment icon I will use this advice as I prepare for my career. Andrew
0
0

Shirley’s Answer

Hi Andrew,

I agree with Jill's answer. A degree in supply chain management will give you the end to end view of supply chain. Networking is also very key to progressing in your career. I would also suggest finance as a double major to help you understand the balance sheet of the organization you're planning to lead in the feature.

Thank you comment icon Thank you, this is amazing! I really needed it. Andrew
0