6

Is psychology a good major?

Is psychology a good major? I am really passionate when it comes to studying human behavior but as a child of immigrant I have to make sure that I won’t struggle financially. I hear a lot of people talking about how this major is not good and finding jobs is hard and they don't pay a good amount. I don’t want to sacrifice my passion for money but I have to be realistic and consider financial aspects too. Thank you.

6

0

Dana’s Answer

If you plan on working as a therapist, psychologist, psychiatrist, then yes for sure. I have a degree in Psychology and I thought it was going to help me in my HR career. It didn't make the greatest difference, but it may have helped me here and there.
0
0

Iker’s Answer

Psychology can open up many career choices, both in the Academic / Research fields but also employed in the private sector. For e.g., aside Human Resources, companies also value a lot of Psychology studies for User Experience (UX) Research (e.g., doing investigations about how users are using apps)

In addition, with Psychology training you can also build-up your own business if you specialize in Clinical Psychology & Psychotherapy to work with your own patients.

0
0

Kathleen’s Answer

Hi, Psychology can be broken into 3 career paths. Counseling/Therapy, Research or Human Resources. All of these avenues require a minimum of a Masters degree. As a undergraduate degree, psychology is useful as a general humanities degree. The degree requires a significant amount of writing which is always great as a general entry into any career or business. Doing a intern will help any future job search.

Good luck 🍀
0
0

Ying’s Answer

Personally, I am someone that have asked myself this question many times and still do till this day. I am currently majoring in Psychology right now and I enjoy it a lot. But I believe that time and money is very important as we don't wanna waste it. I think pursing what you love to learn and do is also very important as well. If you're really committed on Psychology I say why not take the time to see if you enjoy it as much as you thought. As there are always time to change your major as well.

If you're someone that doesn't want to commit and try it out. I say take the time to do an internship or even do your own research about the topic. As you know yourself the best. One piece of advice I would give you would be give yourself time there's no need to rush what you want to do later in life. Psychology would always be there as a major. There might be a lot of work and time you might need to put in order to get a decent job. But if you're fully committed to Psychology. Then I totally think it's worth it.
0
0

Megan’s Answer

To be completely honest unless you plan on obtaining your masters or PhD in Psychology there are very few opportunities with a Bachelor degree only. Depending on what your passion is Nursing or Social Worker is a much more lucrative career with many more job opportunities. Good luck!
0