4

I was wondering what classes I should take when go to college to become a information technology guy

My name is Seth I was wondering what classes should I take when I go to college to become a information technology guy and what steps should I take. I already know how to build a computer what else should I work on in my free time to improve the steps to reach my goal.

4

2

Dexter’s Answer

Hey Seth,

It's so awesome to see that you know what you want to do in life. Though, do you know what you'd like to specialize in? There are many different jobs, such as focusing on security, business operations, datacenters, program management, analytics, strategy, etc. I think it'd serve you well to look into information technology a bit further and narrow your focus down to a few specializations you can try out.

Having said that, for general IT experience, I would recommend fixing other people's computers. It'll teach you the social skills you'll need to deal with easy and difficult people, and that is general experience that you can apply to any specialization. Another thing you can do is to get really familiar with enterprise tools that have free versions, such as Excel (especially using more involved formulas/macros), Slack (you'll be surprised how far you can get by being the "slack" guy in the office), PowerPoint (if you like designing thing), etc. Again, these tools are general enough, where it'll serve you well regardless of your specialization.

Anyways, I wish you the best, and I hope this was helpful. If you comment back with specialization that you want to focus on, I can provide further things you can do to prepare! :D

--
Dexter
2
1

Hi Seth - Adding on to Dexter's great advice. I suggest looking into Networking classes and certifications. This is a valuable skill set within IT that touches many areas. If you choose a path that is in the area of break/fix support for personal computers or even large networked storage, this skill will be quite useful.
1
1

Carrie’s Answer

Hey Seth,

Great to hear about your passion for information technology. I agree with Dexter that it is essential to consider what within information technology you most enjoy doing. Do you want to do networking, security, and application development, or potentially start to specialize in something such as Cloud? I would consider looking at courses offered by top technology companies such as Microsoft or AWS or even consider industry certifications. These could give you some foundation and allow you to get a job in information technology with more hands-on experience while you continue to take classes and explore your passions. Some people study engineering, computer science, or even information technology management in college!

Carrie
1
0

Rebecca’s Answer

Thank you for your question. I am glad to hear that you are interested in Technology.
In fact, there are many different careers in Technology, e.g. Developers, System Engineer, Application Support, System Support, Network Support, Database Administrator, System Administrator, etc. Each of these careers have their own knowledge domain and platform. It can further divided into different specific expertise. E.g. In development, there are web, Apps, ERP, System, etc. Similar for System Engineer, there are PC, Servers, Mainframe, Storage, Network, etc.
In general, it can be divided into software and hardware. If you are interested in hardware, I would recommend to take the Computer Engineering as your major. This can give you an overview of Computer Engineering and hence you can decide what area you would like to focus after your graduation.
You can explore the entry criteria of Computer Engineering in the college and prepare.
Hope this helps! Good Luck!
0