3
Updated 57 views

What do employers look for when hiring for medical assitants?

What do employers desire out of potential employees for medical assistance? What draws you in?

3

1

Bhavna’s Answer

Employers look for candidates who possess strong communication and interpersonal skills, as well as excellent organizational and administrative abilities. They should also demonstrate a basic knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, insurance processes, medical billing and coding, and medical office administration. Having certifications and prior experience as a medical assistant, as well as computer and data entry skills, will be an advantage.
1
0

What hiring managers first look for in a prospective medical assistant is personality (as in, they would want to know whether the person is 1. a team player, 2. deals well with criticism, 3. prioritizes patient care and can deal with difficult situations). This will usually come up a substantial amount in interviews to determine fit and to see the applicants' interest in the field/motivation.
Hospitals and clinics are very busy places to work, and it is important that medical assistants can keep on track with the schedule and can work precisely and efficiently.
I would say that these are the interpersonal skills that one would need to become an effective medical assistant.
Usually, clinics will offer training to new medical assistants (unless stated in the job description), but having certifications (CPR, EMT, phlebotomy) are always good to have when applying.

0
0

Kimberly’s Answer

Generally speaking, you should be a team player and be dependable. As with any other employer regardless of industry, attendance is important. Your ability to manage time effectively and multitasking skills will benefit you, as well as accountability and being proactive as a member of the team. As a medical assistant, you are responsible for a lot of back office tasks (depending on where you work) and patient care as well. From managing the front desk to rooming patients and answering phone calls or processing paperwork, your ability to triage urgent tasks will help you a lot.

For me, I wanted to be in a career where I get to help other people and healthcare is the best industry to be in. It makes me feel valued when providers give me kudos for my efficiency. That is, I make sure that patients are seen on time and that we have all the information we need prior to their visit because this helps the providers immensely. Your goal is to manage the flow of the clinic and make sure everything runs smoothly so the question is, how will you achieve it?
0