What should my major be for a career as a pediatrician?

I know that I want to go to school to become a pediatrician. But in all of my college searching, I haven't been able to figure out what I need to major in to achieve my goals. #medicine #pediatrics #healthcare #pediatrician

6

Pick something that interests you, or do like I did , and take whatever is left after you eliminate what you don’t like.
You have to take the required courses for medical school.
If you go the premed route be aware that most courses that have a majority of students who are premed in them are harder to get an A in. Thats because they all need an A. Courses without them have some students who are happy with a C, so its easier.
I got a BS degree with a minor in biology. No major was required in my university and this gave me a greater choice of courses.
A lot of people start with premed and switch majors. . This is ok. I know a doctor whose wife was also a doctor. She didn’t like medicine but stuck with it. She ended up a doctor but a very unhappy one.

0

Yasemin’s Answer

Hi Abbilene! I agree with previous answers however deciding on a major has to do with interests as well. I was on the premed route too in college, however my major was psychology, there are even other applicants that major in language! That being said you don't have to be a traditional science major because medical schools have become more and more diverse and open to different perspectives. You can be any major and apply to medical school, the thing that is important is to take the prerequisite courses regardless of your major. In addition make sure to like and find interests in your major because medical schools may ask why you chose your major. For example I chose to be a psychology major because the mind fascinates me; how we interact with others and how our brain can dictate so much of our body and life is truly amazing and there are so many things yet to be discovered. Keep working hard and do what you love!

0

Pick a major that interests you so you don't mind devoting a majority of your hours to studying. You will need to get good grades in college in order to apply for medical school. At the medical school I attended, the average GPA is reported to be 3.85, so even one or two B's can hurt your chances of acceptance.
Aside from this, any major is acceptable as long as you complete the prerequisite courses. I chose to major in biochemistry because there was overlap with the premed requirements and I wanted to complete my degree in 3 years.
Typical medical school prerequisites include:
Biology: Lecture – 4 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
General Chemistry: Lecture – 2 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
Organic Chemistry: Lecture – 2 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
Biochemistry: Lecture – 1 semester
General Physics: Lecture – 2 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
Math: Statistics – 1 semester
English: Rhetoric (Composition) and Literature – 2 semesters

0

Beth’s Answer

Find what medical school you would like to go to and look at their prerequisites. Mainly, it is a lot of chemistry/science.
Here is an example of Yale's prerequisites:
General Biology or Zoology (2 semesters)
General Chemistry (2 semesters)
Organic Chemistry (1 semester)
Biochemistry (1 semester - laboratory recommended, but not required)
General Physics (2 semesters)

Taken from: https://medicine.yale.edu/education/admissions/requirements.aspx

0

Tia’s Answer

If you have time, I suggest finding a part-time position in the business office of a hospital or other healthcare facility, such as a health center, board of health, or doctor's office. You can also volunteer - that's how I got my first job. It's great to get as much hands on experience as you can working in various healthcare environments. Education and credentials are important, but any experience you can gain while you're in school will make you a stronger job candidate when you graduate. Good luck!

#medicine #healthcare

0

Barbara-Ann’s Answer

You would beed to go the medical route. Pre-med then medical school with a specialty in pediatrics

0